Tuesday 2 February 2021

Bad Moon Rising

 January challenge completed!

Classic Rouge Trader Orks - Bad Moons

Let's get our teef stuck into them!

My resolution for this year was to randomly chose a model/unit from my unpainted pile once a month. The spin of the wheel turned up a real doozy - some old lead Bad Moons that I've been waiting for an excuse to paint.

Classic Rouge Trader Orks - Bad Moons

Considering I've been procrastinating over these since I first bought my copy of 'Ere We Go in 1991, I was glad I waited until paint technology had improved.

Classic Rouge Trader Orks - Bad Moons

The layers of Averland Sunset and Yriel Yellow were a lot better than the watery yellows I'd previously struggled with. I used Leviadon Blue contrast paint on the trousers (although I fear that's going to rub off easily unless I varnish it).

Classic Rouge Trader Orks - Bad Moons

The black flames are a nod to the oldhammer style, and a lot easier than I'd feared - Chaos Black and Black Templar combined to give a nice balance between flow and coverage.

Classic Rouge Trader Orks - Bad Moons

I painted the skin all shades, drawing from the long experience of painting fantasy greenskins. It was the first time I've tried the pink lower lip - I've seen it done very well elsewhere, although I'm not sure I've got it right yet (luckily I've plenty more orks to practice on!)

Classic Rouge Trader Orks - Bad Moons

I put these onto 32mm bases, which work so well that I'm amazed they weren't designed for them in the first place. I was reluctant to cut off the slotta tabs, but I was able to find some 32 slottas (Bloodbowl, I think) to fit them.

Classic Rouge Trader Orks - Bad Moons

One challenge done, and as much as I'd like to continue down the Oldhammer Orks path, the Hobby Roulette Wheel will decide...

10 comments:

  1. No! Forget the wheel: paint more Orks! They look great. I've still got a load of unpainted metal Orks from the same period...and a developing Ork army to fill up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get them all done one day.
      I recently learned how much an old battlewagon can fetch, and feel bad for leaving mine buried in a box.

      Delete
  2. Can't beat an old school Ork! The newer guns look great, even with their skinny arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't bodyshame my orks.

      Delete
    2. Far from it - i prefer the lank and wiry look. Proper punk.

      Delete
    3. Proppa orks don't need elbows!

      Delete
  3. Great work! Love these old school models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That middle fella is filling in as the Warboss for my OWAC army, and I have to concur: he looks great on a 32mm base! So many of the old figures have their toecaps poking out over the edge of the 25mm one anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! The oldhammer Ork Nobz make such character pieces. I'm spoiled for choice with warbosses.

      Delete