Saturday 5 September 2020

Centre of Biomass

The Hive Fleet grows apace!

Trucking on through my recent Tyranid acquisitions this week. Hormagants have never quite made it on to my list of stuff to get, somehow. Fast and cheap, but pretty ineffective, they always struck me as having all the downsides of Genestealers (frail) but none of the benefits (deadly). There were ten in the eBay stuff, though, so I guess I can find out if my misgivings were right or not!


They were a bit battered in the post, and the weak ankles that the models suffer from anyway needed a bit of fixing. Good and dynamic in their pose, they are really front heavy. They got the money treatment, some 2p coins glue-gunned to their bases to keep them upright. 

I couldn't get this one back on its base at all, so it got a green stuff hoof and a slightly more upright leaping pose.

And this one was missing bits, and I didn't even notice until I started painting it! So he's a character, clearly, Old One Leg.

It's a small, cheap harassment unit, I guess? Good to run on to objectives early on, forcing the enemy to waste time killing them as other, nastier stuff scuttles ever closer. 

Speaking of which, here are some Genestealers. 

Man, I never seem to stop painting Genestealers! I don't even need these eight, they're just more filler in the eBay boxes. They do have a job to do, though, they can be Acid Maw 'stealers to stand out from the sea of original Space Hulk I've got. And nice to have some of the newer sculpts in Afanc, I suppose. I just wish someone else had got to paint them for me. 

Finally, a terrain base. It's the old Spore Mine launcher bit from the 4th ed box set, along with some infestation nodes. It might work as an Objective marker, if you just measure from the mouthy bit, or it might just be terrain. Or I might use it as a scenic base for something later on, I haven't decided yet. 


That's more than half the new Tyranid stuff, and I've updated their Army Page accordingly. More to come!


5 comments:

  1. Lovely additions but I think you’ll need to add another 10 Hormagaunts for them to be anything on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my experience has been that hormagaunts get more dangerous en mass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think you're right. I'm not expecting these to be anything more than a brief speed bump, but at least they're cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome additions dude. The army page is looking more scary by the day! Need a game against them soon!!

    ReplyDelete