Thursday 13 June 2019

Land(a Craft: Too Much) Raider



Return of the Magnetanks!





This time, it's the Land Raider's turn. But there's some unfinished business with the Rhinos first - last time I claimed there were Razorbacks, but the picture is kind of a cheat. That's because the actual Razorback turrets were in a different batch of bits, the selection of secondary guns for the Land Raider, but now they're done, here are some pics!

The turrets have all the options available to them, and clip on and off very easily. 

On to the main course. Obviously, the roof comes off this bad boy, so I had to paint the innards. My bits box provided a base of Epic Terminators, and I reckoned one of them would make a nice icon for the niche on the wall. It was a bit too big, it turned out, but after about quarter of an hour of fiddling around with tweezers and superglue, I got it to stay put.


There really is a terrifying amount of detail inside the tank. It's both wonderful and idiotic, really, it must add at least a sprue to the kit (and therefore money), but it's hard to turn your nose up at it. Even painting it by threading brushes through the open hatches, which isn't how I did it last time, you know the results will pay off.


I'm no expert on Land Raider variants. This is the classic starter one, with lascannon and heavy bolter, that much I know. I can never decide whether I like it better with the guns at the back or the front. But on this one, I don't have to pick! If it were a real tank, I guess you'd want the doors behind the guns so you don't need to get shot in half climbing on board. Space Marines probably care more about how cool it looks than such health and safety measures, though.


This is a Crusader variant, with the shootier Hurricane Bolter sponsons and the Assault Cannon turret.


Not quite sure what I've created here - I was aiming for a Redeemer (heavy flamer sponsons), but this has lascannons in the forward turret. That's reserved for the Terminus Ultra, the one with eight lascannons altogether, which you could make easily enough with this lot. Not that I did. I'm quite afraid enough of normal Land Raiders before you start toying about with freaky esoteric ones, like the Helios or the Achilles.

I realised I forgot to put the armour on the turrets for the first pic - they are magnetised separately, to help you get the guns on and off the turny bit. 

Leofa still thinks he might add more magnets to the tank (but where?), so the roof isn't glued on yet. And there are still weapon options to be added over time, like Thunderfire Cannons, quad-heavy-bolters or multi-meltas. My hat would be forever off to him if he could somehow make it capable of becoming the infamous Anvilarium, not that rules exist for it. But a Dreadnought Chariot would be something to behold!

Still more Marine vehicles to come, but I'm going to take a break and dive back into Mechanicus first. And before that, a fight!

3 comments:

  1. No matter what they say, I've done
    But I ain't never had too much gun!

    That is some very impressive work there! And yeah, the interior of the Land Raider is kind of over the top, but it was the first Vehicle kit GW ever did that had interior detail at all, so they let Jes Goodwin go all the way on it. There's a reason that kit took five years from Jes's first design sketches to actually being on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting history, that - Jes Goodwin does great work, and this kit is a prime example. The primaris hover version is a pale imitation in comparison.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, there was a White Dwarf article about the design process of the kit years ago, back when it was first released. Very interesting read.

      Delete