Friday 21 June 2019

First, Do No Armigers


If you're going to break your Hippopaintpot Oath, you may as well break it hard, I say.



Here's another pair of Armigers for the legions of Kasfunatu. And these ones are magnetised! Because you can't have too many magnetised arm options.


Despite my misgivings over the Armiger design, it's grown on me over the last month. Now I'm not sure if it's the big Knights I don't like for being too clunky, or these ones for being too spindly. No, wait, I know what it is! I'm a middle-aged grump with too many opinions!


One of this pair went in fairly traditional Crypt Angel blacks and reds, but I didn't do teeth on this one. Not that I couldn't, and I had originally intended to. When it came to it, I just felt it looked good and ominous in plain colours. It isn't technically a member of the Chapter, after all, so I don't feel too bad.


To make up for this laziness, I did more of an Ad Mech look for the other one. House Taranis, is it, that does the black and yellow stripes with red? New reds, too, I'm gradually shifting over to Army Painter paints as my citadel stuff dries out. This is Pure Red highlighted with Lava Orange, and their Soft Tone wash. Not sure about their Quick Shades, I think I prefer good old Agrax. The shiny finish on this stuff is a bit off-putting, although nothing that varnish won't hide. I'm sure that, as with the Armigers, I'll slowly come to appreciate it.


Helverin or Warglaive? Not sure what I'd go with as a first choice. The autocannons on the Helverin are vicious, but the speed and short-ranged damage of the Warglaive is probably more useful. Both have their place in different armies or against different foes, obviously, and magnetising them is easy and sensible as a result. Except that it fools me into thinking the carapace gun is also free-spinning, which it isn't. Bit of glue and pin work needed there, oops.


Only one last member of the Knights to come, but it'll be back to Marine vehicles first!

5 comments:

  1. Love these, personally prefer the red one as chevrons really pop. But you are a brave man painting a large model black so much edge highlighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I've had a lot of practice with black over the last couple of years, so I didn't really worry too much about the scale. Maybe I will now!

      Delete
  2. Those puns are on-point.

    Although I've very distressed at the switch to Army Painter colours. Where am I going to steal my ideas from now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that the range includes colours like Ultramarine Blue, I reckon the translation should be easy enough!

      Delete
  3. I've really come to prefer the Army Painter washes to the GW ones, but the Quickshade in a can varnish stuff is way more trouble than it's worth. For that sort of purpose, the big jars of Vallejo Miniature Wash seem like the way to go.

    I prefer the Helverin as an all-rounder. The number of shots on the Warglaive is low enough that I feel like they sort of need to be fielded in packs to be reliable, and they're much more focused. Plus, Helverins have that awesome Anti-Aircraft Stratagem.

    ReplyDelete