Thursday 13 October 2022

Life Through A Telescopic Lens

Blessed be the Wolf Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Space Wolves Primaris Eliminators

Heads down, it's the Eliminators!

I'm not a huge fan of snipers in 40k (with the exception of the Imperial Guard, but that's my soft spot for Mad Larkin there) - picking off the characters does seem to be a spoilsport way of playing a game that, let's be honest, bears no resemblance to reality.

Space Wolves Primaris Eliminators

But I was gifted a trio of Eliminators, and it's not like my Space Wolves couldn't use some fire support as they charge headlong towards the foe.

Space Wolves Primaris Eliminators

Also, I'd like to expand my range of Phobos armour, so this is a good way to fill out the heavy support.

Space Wolves Primaris Eliminators

Being mostly cloak, these were quick to paint up (I did them on the side of painting my Heavy Intercessors). The real knack was trying to get a handle on a camouflage - I subconsciously drift towards uniformity, so I had to force myself to try and be random with the different coloured blobs.

Space Wolves Primaris Eliminators

  • Armour: The Fang base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Russ Grey drybrush, Fenrisian Grey drybrush
  • Yellow pauldron: Averland Sunset base, Cassandora Yellow wash, Yriel Yellow drybrush
  • Red pauldron: Mephiston Red base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Evil Sunz Scarlet drybrush
  • Cloaks: Mounfang Brown base, Dryad Bark, Banebalde Brown and Gorthor Brown 'blobs', Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Belt buckle, helmet coils and gun parts: Ironbreaker base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Gun frame: Chaos Black
  • Eye Lens: Evil Sunz Scarlet
  • Belts and holsters: XV-88 base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Talismans and bolter shells: Hashut Copper, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Pouches: Dryad Bark
  • Base: Vajello Earth Texture, Agrax Earthshade wash, Mounfang Brown lip

Space Wolves Primaris Eliminators

These snipers must have sensed my approbation - in their first run-out, they did pretty badly. Only having three shots a turn doesn't help when you roll an improbable number of ones. And although they could theoretically take out a warlord with a good volley of shots, the reality is, it rarely happens.

Space Wolves Primaris Eliminators

Still, nice to have them in the team and hopefully will be joined by more Phobos troops!

8 comments:

  1. Tha camo cloaks are especially lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I think they pass the 'arms length' test.

      Delete
  2. Agreed, the camo cloaks are lovely, I do like how they contrast so well with the pale space wolves armour colours, again done very crisply.
    I went with a plain dull brown for my own Deathwatch Eliminators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the colour contrast was a bit of luck, as I just tried to match the colour of the bases they were on (I've not yet tried snow camo!)

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about snipers, but I reckon they're very rarely the head-popping horrors you kind of fear they're going to be in the game. Handy psychological pressure though, it keeps the enemy HQ heads down! And Eliminators can be a right pain to shift. I've faced them I don't know how many times in Kas's armies, and never got them off the table once that I can recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've experienced trying to shift Eliminators in cover using lascannons to no effect.

      But that was also the battle where they took out my warlord with the first shots of the game, so my view of snipers may be coloured!

      Delete
  4. I think these are great models. They fit the modern warfare vibe but still remind me of sniper scouts. Real nice work Stylus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I like the Phobos vibe, so it would be nice to round it out to a whole detachment.

      Delete