Friday 7 October 2022

I, Ambot


 Necromundan Clankers - these have been a long time coming. 

Mining robots based on one of 40K's more destructive life forms? What could possibly go wrong with them? Especially in such a safe work environment as a hive city. Whichever genius came up with these is certainly due an extra shot of wild snake in the drinking hole later. 


The first one, Rusty, might have seen better days. The serial numbers are new, though, which means the chassis must be as well. Who are you to doubt Modest Braccam the Very Truthful, ambot seller to all the finest gangers? Ach, if your leader has to send sludge-for-brains like yourself to trade, he is clearly not worthy of owning such a fine machine. 



You doubt the quality of my robotic stable? Then feast your eyes on Gonk here! The Escher child genius who sprayed it was herself purchased by Uphive Nobles on account of her unique talents. Which means Gonk is one of a kind, hence the price tag. It's for the artwork, not the Thudd Gun. That particular add-on is free. The shells are, of course, each sold separately. My cousin stocks them, I will put in a good word with him if you want. And if, of course, you are buying. 


Nonsense aside, the paint jobs here took a bit of extra time. The rust effect was done with a layer of Skrag Brown as a base, then the old hairspray-and-toothbrush effect after I'd done a lot of semi-painstaking hazard stripes. Not worth too much pain if most of it was going to get scraped off again, I decided. 


The other one had the base coats done by my youngest, then I shaded and layered the colours she chose. This took a while, there were quite a few colours in there. Definitely not combos I'd have come up with myself, but the overall effect is great - like it's been owned by various gangs, or just parked for too long near the graffiti zone. The shoulder pad was done over the top (as indeed the whole thing is, really), a little freehand at the last minute. 


More to come! And some games underway, reportage in time...

6 comments:

  1. Love the Ambots - Gonk is a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He got a run out last night, actually, playing a sentry robot in a Necromunda heist. Out of my loyal coppers and Bob's raiding Escher, you'll never guess who he murderated the most of...

      Delete
  2. They look excellent kraken! I love the idea of taking colour choices from kids and I think it’s turned out great! Now I just need to teach mine how to say colours…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The less you teach them, the more innovative the results!

      Delete
  3. Lovely stuff! There's something vaguely Orky about them (which is intended as a compliment!)

    ReplyDelete