Tuesday 10 December 2019

An Epistle About An Apostle

An Apostle and two Disciples - have I got the wrong holiday?

A Dark Apostle conversion with Puppetswar head.



These are some conversions with a very narrow audience of appreciation (which could sum up this whole blog).

They're for a painting/conversion competition on the Deployment Zone Discord - diorama, single model or group of models, with the only theme given as 'something DZTV'.

Given the way my mind works, I went for a Dark Apostle and two Dark Disciples in the style of the TOs of the last Weekend at Burnie's narrative event.

A Dark Apostle conversion with Puppetswar head.

First up is the architect of the tournament, My AP Burn himself. As I wanted to represent both Alliance and Cabal in one model, I did the colour scheme as the fabled Acquiritur Scopum, being slowly consumed by chaos into Black Legion (haha!).

I replaced his accursed crozius (which I didn't much like) for an Intercessor bolt pistol - so that arm looks less corrupted. I also replaced the chaotic pauldron on the right for a spare Aggressor one, so I had a smooth palette for the Alliance sigil,

I also swapped out his flaming backpack for a regular space marine one - also to show the transition, and because all those bust flames were detracting from the rest of the model. But to keep it chaotic, I removed the left vent and replaced with a skull.

More addition were replacing his sidearm with an empty holster (because he's now holding it!) and sticking a Chaos Warrior mace on his belt (because he needed some kind of crozius!).

And finally the head - I did have the Knight-Incantor head in mind, which would have been perfect. So naturally, I lost that by the time it came to building. So I used a mohawk head from Puppetwars, removing the mohawk (which seems redundant!) and greenstuffing a beard.

The glasses were the really insane bit - anything to do with adding things to a face can look terrible unless you actually know what you're doing, but I did my best. A cut-down staple for the frame, and then a tiny sliver of resin offcut for the lenses (this sliver was smaller than most of the shavings and sweepings that normally litter my desk, so keeping track of that was fun!)

And finally, he's standing on a standard-issue DZTV command point.

Dark Disciples conversions with Puppetswar heads.

An Apostle is nothing without his Disciples, and an organiser is nothing without his TOs. So for the supporting acts, I modified two Blood Reavers for Till (which I had to add an extra six inches of height) and John (who got an omnispex around his neck, as official event photographer.

Both heads are also from the mohawk set of Puppetswars - I had to add more hair (and beard) with greenstuff, but I'm happy with the likeness (and since you're unlikely to know the subjects, just take my word for it!).

TOs got special 'Weekend At Burnie's' event t-shirts, so I applied greenstuff around the bare chests, and smoothed it over with 'Ardcoat. The real brain-melting part was trying to paint the logo at that scale (but it was my own fault for designing it - next time, I'll just make it an abstract number of paint splodges).

A Dark Apostle and Dark Disciples conversion with Puppetswar heads.

And with that, the gang is complete! I'm looking forward to seeing how these prayers operate on the table - and with his allegiance to The Cabal, I reckon Apostle "Let The Galaxy" Burn can inspire any of my chaos warbands,

8 comments:

  1. Awesome work! Not enough 40k models have shades. I see a brand new avenue of modelling opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now I just need to work out how to fit The Fonz into the dark millennium...

      Delete
  2. Bonus points if you can mock up a CSI Miami meme with those sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like these Eldar...
      (puts on sunglasses)
      ... have been worshipping Caine.

      Delete
  3. Dude! Those are awesome! Great work getting the tiny little bits to line up for the shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a nice one to puzzle out - although I won't be repeating it in a hurry!

      Delete
  4. Those are simply amazing, fantastic piece of work!

    ReplyDelete