Tuesday 31 December 2019

Lead and Taxes - Year in Review


Image result for tally man

Kraken here, with my end of the year's Tally!


Let's keep this brief and to the point.

Models Obtained: 284

Favourite Newbies - the Mantis Warriors, who are yet to achieve much on the ground. But they're old school marines and I love them!

A pretty big set of additions to the leadpile, this. Several large terrain sets, including the TT Combat Iron Labyrinth and a starter set of Rampart Kazumi ruins, really knock the tally up. And I'm not quite finished assembling the terrain from Dark Uprising, listed on the official site as containing 'A Vast Array' of scenery. It depends on how you stick it together, I guess, but there's plenty there. Really that total should be more than 300, I think, but in the spirit of giving at Yule, though, I'm counting it as one big one for now.

Models Painted: 405


Favourite Paintjob - the ridiculous Crypt Angels Mouthguards, for their extravagantly bemawed shields and their 'I'm eating a dove' helmets. I was very pleased at how well defacing the Ultramarines worked for this, plus I got to deface Ultramarines!

But I'm still ahead of the game! I'm being a little conservative here, too, as I'm not counting all the magnetized stuff I did on commission separately, just their parent tank. That balances out the generosity above, anyway.

Strange - somehow I felt like I got more than I painted this year. Probably because so much of the done pile was commission work, I guess, and it is actually a bit less than previous years. But I get to keep more of it!

Goals Achieved: 1


Image result for goals

Looking back, I promised myself I'd try and finish Deep Madness (not even close, I painted about fifteen models of the several hundred there).

I also promised I'd complete a set of Necromunda House gangs, and I've done that! Plus I also own models yet unpainted that round out a complete collection of every available gang apart from Genestealer Cultists. They're next on the list I suppose. Next year, I swear to play more of this excellent game, and drag more of the other Woffbooters into it, kicking and screaming.

My last goal from last year was to win more games of 40K than I lose. A hearty thanks to General Hotspur for helping me drag my wins up a little, but let's be honest, it's once again been a poor showing from my armies.

Image result for goals


I make it 18 losses, 5 wins and one draw. That's not exactly premiership material! And it becomes increasingly obvious to me that I'm doing something wrong somewhere, more than just foul luck can be blamed for. So I shall be trying to analyse my losses early next year and see what I can learn from them, other than to not volunteer to play against Knights lists.

There's a bonus goal, sort of, in that I've managed to double the number of functional house armies I've got! The Mantis Warriors and Alpha Legion are both raring to go, and I have high hopes for both. The Tyranids didn't get much new, and the Scions are a finished army that has stayed that way, but look for new Nids in the near future as I play with the Blood of Baal rules.

Highlight of the Year

The Thousandth post battle was a cracking one, but I'm actually going to go with the games from this post. Not for any of them in particular, but for their representation of this year's actual 'Boot, which was one of the best in ages!

Good to play some non GW-stuff too, actually. The last couple of years have seen some great campaigns of dungeon crawlers or zombie bashers. Whilst I'm not complaining, I am still loving 8th Ed 40K, I do slightly miss the sidebar action.


Image result for grimdark future meme

Here's to the future - keeping it Grimdark!




6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!
    And since half my wins against you come down to the last roll of the dice, I hope your luck stays exactly as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year yourself!

      One of the key lessons I've learned so far in my analysis is not to roll the final, crucial dice.

      Delete
    2. Do you mean not to roll it yourself, or just never to roll it at all, and leave the game suspended in a never-ending state, like the spinner in Inception?

      Delete
    3. If you never finish the game, you can't lose it.

      Delete
  2. I just did a tally of my own: I bought exactly 200 models in 2019 (on top of 81 in 2018) and painted 87 of them (on top of 4 in 2018). There may be a little cross-over between 18 and 19 in the painted category, but not by much. So I've not bought anything like as much as you, but that's good as my painting speed is way lower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was a bit of a bumper crop for me this year!

      People often ask me how I paint as much as I do. It's easy. By merely sacrificing all pretence at a career or social life, you too will be able to paint more than a model a day, and nobody but your inanimate leadpile Will thank You for it!

      Delete