Thursday 26 December 2019

Godsworn Us, Every One

These were painted up to be Christmas presents, so hopefully I can post them here without spoiling the surprise!


(the average age of the recipients is 6, so they're not among our regular readership!)

Over the past year, I've been running HeroQuest campaigns for my two kids and their two cousins. With the appropriate amount of rules-tweaking on the fly, it's brilliant fun, and they've all taken to it with enthusiasm (it's like watching a Stranger Things prequel).

But as they get more into their characters, they're starting to look askance at my collection of enamel-coated atrocities they've had to use.

Agrax Earthshade would fix all of this.

So for Christmas, I thought I'd give them all their very own hero. I had to match the model to the character they'd developed, but luckily GW has been upping its game in that regard,

Theddra Skull-scryer of the Godsworn Hunt, Warhammer Underworlds

The Sorceress character is Theddra Skull-scryer of the Godsworn Hunt, one of the Warhammer Underworlds gang.

I've started to use Contrast paints in concert with acrylics, rather than slathering them all over the model, and the effect it much better. That tree-trunk, for example, is just Gore-Grunta Fur. While the loincloth armour is Snakebite Leather.

And I'm sure the three layers of highlight on the cloak were necessary. What seven year-old doesn't want that?

Grundann Blood-Eye of the Godsworn Hunt, Warhammer Underworlds

The traditional HeroQuest barbarian has been reinvented as Grundann Blood-Eye, another Godsworn Hunt alumnus.

Just basic flesh and leathers for him, and a liberal application of Blood for the Blood God on the axe.


This Saurus OldBlood has made his way into the dungeon as an avatar of every kid's dinosaur phase. In a vain attempt to spread the party's skills around (nobody wants to be the Dwarf), I managed to negotiate this one to be a little less killy, with the addition of fire spells.


And finally the other main fighter of the group. This one owes its origins to the fact that, when it came to slapping paint on spare miniatures during their introduction to the hobby, all I had to offer was a monopose Chaos Warrior. He's since proven such a hit that he's become a regular fixture in every battle (up to and including the 40k ones), so all he needed was a bit of updating.

The body is a Stormcast Eternal, with shield, helmet and sword added from Chaos Warriors / Chaos Knights kit. It converts up quite well, too.

And to round it all off, some bespoke hero cards to accompany them:



They haven't met a monster they couldn't defeat ... just don't ask them to disarm any traps.



3 comments:

  1. Excellent! I have many fond memories of Hero Quest when my brother and I weren't too much older than that. It was a great introduction to gaming, and subbing in new minis means it can look as fantastic now as I thought the original did back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It proved just as immersive as I remember. We're going through the campaign books at such a rate, I'll have to write a few of my own soon.

      Delete
  2. Lovely stuff, reminds me of my first WFRP adventure when we used Heroquest models to represent us.

    ReplyDelete