Tuesday 22 October 2019

Weekend at Burnie's 2 - Final Thoughts

I've far exceeded the 10,000 word count covering this tournament, so just a quick summary and some final narrative.

Collecting the Hair Club For Men Award

Let's wrap this up!

First off, the tournament itself was fantastic. From the narrative build-up, to all the bonuses and surprises, to the players on the day, I've not experienced better in the hobby.

I wasn't alone in that either: there was a crown of historical wargamers in the adjacent hall, who were curious about the event, and commented that they'd never seen a 40k event where everyone was happy and joking, with every army a treat to look at.

(I believe the expectation - fairly or unfairly - is for a room full of three-colour minimum armies, and lots of sullen staring at tables).

If you like your 40k, if playing matters more than winning, and if you just want to throw dice with some of the best people in the hobby, put your name down for Weekend at Burnie's 3 in 2020 (just don't take my place!)

As for my army - considering I only dreamed this up a month before the event (my original plan was to have entirely Black Legion units with different chaos marks), I'm very happy with how they performed.

He is so doing a theatrical aside.
There was a nice separation of powers between melee (The Purge) and backline shooting (The Scourged) with the scattering of Black Legion units acting as stopgaps.

Both detachments did very well ... so much so that I've already relaxed my promise not to add to them. Expect a couple more units for each to follow.

As predicted, the Chaos Space Marines weren't much use, but they were just there to justify having a really cool banner. And they kept dying to exploding vehicles, so it wasn't all their fault.

My jump-pack warlord with the relic chainsword was fantastic (when he didn't get sniped away) and I was very impressed with how the Greater Possessed performed.

The only disappointment was the Daemon Prince. Probably my fault - I'm used to a Tzeentch Daemon Prince with good invulnerable saves, or Nurgle ones with Disgustingly Resilient. Rolling like a chump for my armour saves didn't help, but the Chaos Space Marine DP does seem a bit squishy - and the Greater Possessed does a similar role for a much cheaper cost.

As for results, I fear The Cabal failed in their attempt to destroy the planet Nayala (it may shock you to learn ... there were traitors in our midst). But - because of some shrewd tactics from our beloved Warmaster - the precious Orb was stolen from under their noses by a determined force of Thousand Sons (go Team Prospero!).

I've written up a narrative epilogue for my own warband here.

In terms of actual finishing, the measure we used was Victory Points accrued, and so I finished in seventh of thirty (Nurgle's number - get in there!). I was very happy with that, considering my list was far from optimised.

And even better, I was voted Miss Congeniality!

(seriously: I'm well chuffed about that)

So that wraps up Weekend at Burnie's 2 - it was a brilliant hobby event, and everyone involved had a great time. Kudos to Mr AP Burn for all the blood and sweat in making the weekend so legendary, and also for the my final take-home (for helping out with the production): a beautifully-painted Changeling for my incipient Daemons army!

Ta-dah!

See you at the next one!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats mate, that's awesome! I may have to become a Patreon and get myself along to a narrative friendly tournament, my last was Blog Wars as I steer clear of WAAC events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I'd heartily recommend giving it a try. There's at least two big narrative events planned for next year - should be a blast.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Favourite Opponent (or whatever it's called at any given event) is always the one that makes me feel best to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - my jaw dropped when I heard my name called, but it's nice to be doing something right!

      Delete
  3. Well done. It doesn't surprise me at all that you won that award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did offer my opponents an extra-strong mint during games, so that probably swung it for me.

      Delete