Wednesday 9 October 2019

And Now ... The Cabal!

There is a reason why I'm popping out different-coloured space marines like a heretical Pez dispenser...

Chaos Space Marines for The Cabal, Weekend At Burnies 2

... Stylus is going to a tournament!


I attended my first tournament - Weekend at Burnies - earlier this year (and won, did I mentioned that?). It was such a success that a whole year was too long to wait for a second round, so Weekend at Burnies 2 is in three days' time!

More properly, this is a 'narrative event' than a tournament (I wasn't going to win anything competitive, was I?) - which means the story of the army is what counts.

So that's why I gone for a mixed bag of renegade warbands: one pledged to Nurgle and the other driven by Tzeentch. And to keep these naughty astartes in order: The Black Legion!

I've already declared this jump-pack Chaos Lord finished once before, but lightning claws are so rubbish and so costly and, crucially, remove the option for a lot of cool relics.

So I sawed them off and added some more useful weapons. Even without relics, a chainsword is pretty cheap and effective. And a humble combi-bolter opens up options for the Daemon Shell stratagem.

Chaos Jump Pack Lord
I painted the chainsword red-and-bone, because Ghorisvex takes care of his Teeth.

But what's the story? How is the Black Legion keeping these two rival factions in line?

Step forward this guy:

Greater Possessed
Note to self - Contrast undercoat Wraithbone out of the pot makes for good pale armour.

He's a Greater Possessed and although he's part of the Black Legion, his armour has been flensed of colour, so he's all ready for his next iteration ... a Daemon Prince!

The structure of the weekend is that you get a 1250pt army on Day 1, and 1500pt army on Day 2. So my plan is: whichever faction performs the best on the first day will control the Greater Possessed's ascension and will gain an appropriately-aligned Daemon Prince on the second day.

(which means I need to provide a couple of Daemon Princes too ... they're on the way)

And what is The Cabal?

Well, the narrative doesn't stop there. To make things interesting, all 30 players have been divided up into two factions: The Alliance, who want to save the planet Nayala (boo!) and The Cabal, who want to burn it down and fill it with daemons (go team!).

Chaos Space Marines for Black Legion

There is also a personal victory that individual players can pursue, at the cost of undermining their own faction, so to keep them in line, two warlords have been appointed lead them.

I have assumed the role of Warmaster of The Cabal (hence the special effort with the banner - I had to throw out some useful wargear to fit that into my army list), and my past rival Captain Smashypants will be Chapter Master of The Alliance.

It's going to be absolutely epic, and I can't wait.

I just have to finish painting first.

4 comments:

  1. That possessed is gorgeous! Lovely job.

    Good lucky for the tourney! Writeup here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got five games over two days, so assuming my phone memory and my human memory holds up, I'll transcribe them all here!

      Delete
  2. Excellent work! Here's hoping the event goes as well as the painting has!

    ReplyDelete