Sunday 21 July 2019

The Crow Toll Road


The commission work for this summer is nearly done, but I've slowly been finishing off The Darkness box too.





First, a set of objective tokens. What they're really for in the actual game, I don't know. Something, clearly. But they'll make decent objectives or set dressing in 40K, both the weird clockwork cylinders and the demolition charges. The latter remind me of the bomb in The Rock. It's a mark of how far Nick Cage has fallen that I can actually think back fondly on that film!


This is the last model, and a pretty fine one in my opinion. The Bell Crow is the box art for the set, and I was very taken with it. Could be an escapee from the Dark Crystal, or an optional boss lurking at the corners of a Dark Souls level - either way, it's a great, gloomy, ghastly thing, hulking miserably without any dynamism in its pose, but still looking horribly threatening somehow.


I took my time over this one, it's been on the desk for nearly two months. From a zenith basecoat of white and black, I layered various inks, washes and paints over the top, and it's turned out well - fun to try to keep the darker shadows on it, as it's not quite as big as I'd hoped. Great Unclean One size would have been perfect, it's more of a Daemon Prince as it is.


That's the whole set done! No idea what to do with it now. It looks great and has some very fine proxies in it, but nothing I couldn't already cover really. Keep it as some proud painterly achievements? Or sell it on eBay and convert it into something else? Any suggestions?


2 comments:

  1. That Bell Crow is glorious. I'm strongly inclined to suggest you keep it, but if you sold it, you could reinvest in WarCry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bell Crow is fantastically creepy! The little random bits are pretty cool, too.

    Perfectly reasonable to think back fondly on The Rock. I mean, it also had Sean Connery and Micheal Biehn in it, and they went quite some way to making up for Cage ;)

    ReplyDelete