Tuesday 27 November 2018

EXT: Rainforest (Harvest Season)


This is what happens when you brag about finishing something.


Literally twenty minutes after that last post went live, I found another Naiad lurking in the back of a box. Well, at least it kept me away from the scenery for half an hour or so.

A Proposal for a System of Government

That really is job done now, I'm sure (cue avalanche of rubber beetles). So it was quickly on to putting sand on the rainforest scatter and slapping some paint on it before heading to the cupboard to muster the troops for a group shot.


There's still a few more mdf rounds that I haven't started yet, so a second batch will be done in due course. Good job, really, I discovered a design flaw already. Lumps of slate don't sit very flat on the base, and the mdf remains slightly flexible on account of being so thin. This means that the glue gun glue that holds the rocks on is prone to peeling away when you pick the base up, as it flexes under its own weight. I'll be experimenting with using polyfilla as a grounding material on the next batch, that ought to hold it together better.

And then here they are!

The (nearly) Complete Reaper Bones 2!
Mr Bones himself
Nathavarr gets an updated shot, he's a cracking model
So much stuff! Wish I used it more often. 
But there's enough in here to satisfy pretty much any dungeon crawl or rpg that may happen in my later life, that's safe to say!*

All? Not all - one tiny village I couldn't find the three beastmen that are part of it, nor the single beetle on a sand base. And I couldn't be arsed cracking out all the ruined tower parts either, which is very lazy. Not that laziness is really the characteristic I'm mostly displaying here, it's 136 models altogether, painted slowly over three years. Less than I thought, actually, my daughters must have nabbed more than I realised.

Okay, Where's Wally fans - these two shots are identical except that there was one model lurking in the box that didn't make it into this shot, just the one below. Can you spot it?

That Naiad was painted with Ahriman Blue as the base skin tone. While it was out, I thought I'd practise some other base tones. No reason, just in case...


*unless newer, shinier models come along

2 comments:

  1. Looks like as good a basis for a system of government as any I've seen ;)

    Flex in bases can be a real problem on larger Terrain pieces. Best of luck with the polyfilla or something else keeping that in check.

    I just cracked open my own Blackstone Fortress box yesterday. Going to give the bases a try as well. Duncan made it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duncan makes everything look easy! I was thinking mine were okay until I compared them with the official ones, my linework is twice as thick and I need more blue in my lamian wash. Plenty to practice on!

      Delete