Friday 2 November 2018

All Creatures Small and Smaller


I looked at my scenery projects for at least five minutes before deciding that Reaper Bones models aren't that tedious to paint after all.



These young dragons are really nicely posed, but very small and little devils to paint. 
One red, one gold and one black, on a variety of bases that don't quite fit them but at least stop them from falling over. Bones models have integral bases, but the material is very lightweight. These slottas might be plastic, but are still heavier than the minis. 

There's actually not at many left as I thought in the Bones Box. My daughters have claimed a number of what's left in there, true, but even accounting for that there's probably less than forty. In theory, I could get them all done by Christmas if I pushed myself.

Black Bear
Wolverine, apparently, although it could be a beaver? 
Wolf

But I'm not going to! Most of the good stuff from that haul is already done, and several of the remaining bits are duplicate sculpts. Ghouls, spiders, mummies and beetles - great Halloween stuff, but all things I've already painted one of, and nothing I'm interested in repeating at the moment.

I really like these giant rats with their mangy fur and revolting boils. Great models for a classic early RPG foe.

This lot is a haul of familiar animals, a barbaric ranger to look after them, a pair of scabby rats and a trio of baby dragons. All nice models, but I now find Reaper stuff a bit of a pain to paint. The detail is great for bendy rubber, in fairness. If you want to make it properly visible, though, washes and drybrushes just don't cut it. Layering, which is slower to do, is really the only way.

Pinhead the Barbarian here is a reasonable model, but weird proportions. Weapons too big, head too small, but he does look better now he's painted.
The base wasn't quite dry when I took the photo. Those are homemade reeds from the head of a ruined paintbrush, they might need a little recolouring once they've dried so they aren't pink and green.

Feels good to get them done, all the same! And it's all grist to the mill. It just pales in comparison to all that lovely GW stuff that's coming out at the moment. The new Ork buggies, the great value scenery packs, even Shadespire is turning my head. Not to mention Blackstone Fortress, which I am basically having to force myself to dislike as much as possible. I have no room in the cupboard! Stop it!


Groan. Scenery next. No avoiding it.

6 comments:

  1. The baby dragons are so cute! <3

    Pretty sure that's a wolverine, yeah. Beavers don't have fur like that on their tails.

    Pinhead indeed! I didn't scroll down and see the second pic until I'd read the caption on the first shot of him.

    I like the bear sculpt, too, but it's kind of dinky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black bears are smaller than other kinds, but yeah, he's probably just a cub. There was a raven as part of this set too, but I've already used it as basing on a viking model a couple of years back.

      Man, I've had this Reaper set for over four years now. I really ought to finish it.

      Delete
    2. Having counted them, there are 32 models left to do. That's achievable by the years end - let's do this!

      Delete
    3. Looking them up on Google, it seems like that's actually not terribly unreasonable scaling, if it's a very small bear and a very large wolf. I was pretty much just comparing those two.

      Delete
    4. I can't find any factual data on the usual sizes dragons come in, unfortunately ;)

      Delete