Tuesday 2 October 2018

Brush (Not) For Hire

The following models were painted by me for someone else. That said, there are three very good reasons why I'm no commission painter:
  1. My painting standard, honed over the decades, is what I would call Tabletop Passable™
  2. I am hopeless at estimating exactly how much time is required for a project (this one ran about double-length)
  3. ... and the third one is the most important, but you'll have to read to the end to find out.
Ogryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k
SOUNDS LIKE CLICKBAIT!

These seven abhumans belong to Leofa, who was wise enough not to part with any cash for their painting, but instead agreed a labour exchange whereby he would put his conversion clippers to use on some Tzeentch creatures for me (to appear here ... eventually) and I would spend the equivalent amount of time painting up his titanic leadpile (may or may not contain an actual Titan).

Ogryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

This piece of real-world communism worked out quite well, since I much prefer to paint than convert, and I had a great time on these chaps.

Ogryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

The first set are the original 'Ripper Gun' Ogryns that I remember from 2nd Edition. And their guns are preposterously big. I've tried using a spare on a model that was supposed to have a stupidly large gun and it still looked too big. Maybe an Ork could carry it off (but he'd have to lift from the knees).

Ogryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

Jungle-pattern trousers for these guys, but I thought that off-white vests suited their 1980s action film aesthetic. Especially the Bone'ead with the 'tache.

Ogryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

Painting recipe as follows:

  • Skin: Rakarth Flesh base, Reikland Fleshshade wash, Cadian Fleshtone highlights
  • Armour/gun: Chaos Black base, Leadbelcher drybrush, Balthasar Gold and Castellan Green details, Agrax Earthshade wash, 
  • Boots: Dryad Bark base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Belt and webbing: XV-88, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Trousers: Death World Forest base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Dryad Bark, Skragg Brown and Zamesi Desert stripes
  • Vest: Celestra Grey base, thinned Nuln Oil wash, Ulthuan Grey highlights

Ogryns for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k


And now for their heavier cousins - the Bullgryns!

Bullgryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

These are my favourite of the set (converted using the Ogryn kit and Ogre Bulls - which might actually work better).

Bullgryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

I had half a dozen of these in my hands at the start of this year, but sold/traded them away like a chump just because they don't fit the 'puny Earthling' theme I have planned for my Guard.

Bullgryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

And to be fair, they still don't. With mauls and slabshields, these guys are brutal in close combat and I want my Imperial Guard to have nothing but a standard-issue helmet and faith in the Emperor to protect them. It's probably the best of both worlds that I got to enjoy painting them, but don't actually have to keep them. 

Bullgryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

Until I re-read the rules while painting these, I hadn't realised Bullgryns could take different loadouts, but it might be useful trick to sneak in one invulnerable save in the form of a Brute Shield, but keep the Slabshields to weather small-arms fire.

Bullgryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

Similar paint recipe as before, though these guys are set for urban pacification, so they get urban camo pants.
  • Armour: The Fang base, Nuln Oil wash, Leadbelcher highlights
  • Trousers: Standard Mechanicus Grey, Nuln Oil wash, Chaos Black and Ulthuan Grey stripes

Bullgryn for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

I also put gold and red stripes on the shields, matching the ones on the pauldrons of the Ogryns, to suggest some unity.

Speaking of red and gold...

Nork Deddog for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

The final miniature is Nork Deddog himself, minder to the stars. With his cigar, monocle and officer's cap, I figured red and gold was the only way to go.

Nork Deddog for Astra Militarum, Warhammer 40k

Which brings us to the third reason I shouldn't paint miniatures for others: I get ridiculously attached to anything once it has been touched with a paintbrush. It's going to be wrench saying goodbye to these big fellas.



11 comments:

  1. Man, I wish I knew someone around here who felt like you do. I would happily trade my Conversion work for someone else's Painting work.

    Even on the Ogryn that they're meant for, those Ripper Guns look ludicrously huge. I like the camo you did, and the off-white for their tops is definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I remember the ripper guns from the old lead Ogryns and even they weren't as ridonkulously big. Trading paint for conversions isn't something I'd make a habit of, but when I post up the converted models, it will be clear why it was worth it.

      Delete
  2. Ah, the curse of the creative. You must kill your darlings, unless they armour save on 6+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real question is: can I count them toward my leadpile tally?

      Delete
    2. Excellent! I stand a chance of keeping the deficit within three figures!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm now thinking the Bullgryns could use a Taurox to ride around in, painted up like a police van, with a Ministorum Priest filling out the extra space as a 'Commissioner Gordon'-type supervisor.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I love them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete