Wednesday 12 September 2018

Thus Ever Two Tyrants


There's quite a lot of redundancy in Tyranid kits, more so than most I'd say. Only one thing to do with spare biomass, right?




First up, Zooanthropes. Venomthropes seemed more of a priority when I first started collecting the army, because that bubble of -1 to hit looked important. After a year of playing, I'd call it more of an optional extra. Nice when you have the points spare, but not essential.


Zooanthropes, however, are pretty impressive. Hefty smiting, work well with the cheap and excellent Neurothrope and surprisingly durable to shooting (but expect embarrassment in melee). The two creatures come in one dual kit, but there's plenty of leftovers as they don't share heads or upper torsos.


Now, I'm pretty terrible with green stuff, as I'm sure you can see, but making snakey tails for these two was at least doable. The paint job hides some of the worst of it, but they're pretty clumsy attempts for all that. I also discovered I was out of 40mm bases, and far too cheapskate to buy new ones. These are just circles of plastic cut from old containers and covered in scenic fluff. They do the job!


The original plan was to build a unit of three. Alas, I was short of one giant brain head, having used it already for my original Neurothrope. Rooting about in the bits bag got me all sorts of other spare parts, though, mostly from the Hive Tyrant and Warriors. And there was a stick of green stuff left, plus an unexpected larger base, so I got to work.


Much swearing later, this thing was spawned. Because it's got Hive Tyrant legs, that's the most obvious representation it can pull. I wouldn't be above claiming it was a Thornback Carnifex, as it has the right weapons and base size. He's a bit skinny, though. Needs feeding up, hence the bonus extra mouth.


A quick spot of terrain - this is an objective I cobbled together earlier in the year and never finished.


And this has been lurking in the in-tray for about eight months. Kas left it behind at the 'Boot, mixed in with the Crypt Angels. You know me, if it's not nailed down I'll probably paint it, so it's a stab at source lighting for this genestealer in a bottle. The plastic canopy is still in the UK, I think, or at least I can't find it in my cupboard, so the finished look is yet to be revealed. But it's done for now.


Next up, it seems unfair to paint new things for the 'Nids and neglect my Scions!

3 comments:

  1. Dude. Those look excellent! I may be slightly biased by the similarities to the colour scheme for my own Nids, but let's just call it objective fact! I'm crap at sculpting as well, but tails like that are pretty easy even for the ten-thumbed. The Rippers coming out of the pumpkin are equal parts badass, hilarious, and adorable.

    My fave, tho, is that Tyrant. It feels like an extension of the way that so many Nid Units are derived from each other. The Lictor is a specialized version of the Warrior, and the Hive Tyrant is a larger, more powerful version of the Warrior. And that thing would be an awesome Tyrant variant using the same principles that derived Lictors from Warriors. Also, just imagine, like cinematically, the scenes that could result from something that size having chameleonic skin and horrified prey coming to the realization that the monster is *right* *there* and they had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was going to be a Lictor at one point! Then I found I didn't have any bases of the right size, so he got upgraded.

      GW have got a pretty good grip on comparative anatomy for their ranges. All the Tyranids fit together well. I kind of wish they'd release random grab bags of components and let you build your own monstrosity out of it. Or maybe just leave the instructions out of a kit or two for fun.

      Delete
    2. Excellent! It takes more work, but it's possible to do it across product lines as well. My three MaulerFiends were purchased as a pair of MaulerFiends and a SlaughterBrute. Then I just started shoving parts together with putty and way too much plastic cement. They used to actually have a couple of things that were sort of like that, back around the turn of the century. My favourite was the Chaos Mutant kit, which was one sprue each of Catachans, Chaos Marauders, Zombies, and Orks.

      Delete