Tuesday 3 January 2023

Quoth the Raven Guard

After playing with my Ultramarines for the last three or four years, my son has decided to start his own army and chose Raven Guard. I had converted this biker Chaplain for my Ultramarines, but decided that they have enough for now so I've painted it up for the new chapter in town.

I've had the Chaplain from Indomitus kicking around for a while and decided to do something a little more interesting for him by buying a spare Outrider from eBay and cutting him up to turn him into a Biker Chaplain. 


I carefully cut the book from his belt to stick onto the front to mirror the official Bike Chaplain model and it was great fun adding loads of spare skulls and purity seals from my bits box all over the bike itself (including the scratch-built banner pole) to make the regular bike feel a bit more Chaplainy.



Being me, naturally I didn't glue the model together fully but magnetised him at the waist and left shoulder (and the book) so he can dismount and be a regular Chaplain too. 



I managed to finish painting him on New Years Eve so he crept into the reckoning for my 2022 tally: bought 108, painted 48. Not a great year from the painting perspective, particularly compared to 2021, when I painted 208 models. However 42 of the year's purchases were for my son's Raven Guard, so if I switch those to his own personal leadpile then that makes mine a bit more palatable. 

Speaking of my son's leadpile, so far he's only painted one squad of Intercessors, though these were painted entirely by himself (I only helped with the transfers). I think they look pretty good for an eleven-year-old (certainly a hell of a lot better than my first marines were when I was a couple of years older than him).



8 comments:

  1. Lovely work both of you! Very smart Raven Guard. Have they seen much action yet, and does the Chaplain have a backstory?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! He doesn't want to play a game until he's got an army fully painted up, but at current rates that could be some time. No backstory yet, but it'll come...

      Delete
  2. Great idea, and fantastic weathering on the bike.
    (and get Pootle jnr playing - one HQ and a squad *is* an army!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! We did play a 1k game over the holidays, but he wants a bigger selection before venturing into Raven Guard

      Delete
  3. Lovely conversion and magnetised to boot!
    Raven Guard are one of those chapters which I feel have gotten a real boon from the Primaris with the most stealthy lightly (power) armoured marines, they just need some good looking jump troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I've got a pile of grey Phobos stuff for my son to paint (eventually) and am (nervously) looking forward to what new stuff comes along with tenth ed...

      Delete
  4. Magnetised at the waist! Of course there wouldn’t be a biker chaplain and a standing chaplain but wowee! He looks in either pose. Well done to your son! 1k is only a few squads away.

    ReplyDelete