Tuesday 24 July 2018

Here There Be Heldrakes

Finally, my flying techno-dragon is complete!

Heldrake for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40k

Told you I was on a roll.

Considering this was one of the first 40k models I bought - it may even have been the model that nudged my choice into heretic Astartes - it's quite shameful that it's taken me the best part of a year to finish it (a salutary lesson in allowing yourself to play with base-coated units)

Heldrake for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40k

In my defence, I was progressing nicely at the beginning, then I realised I'd painted the wings the wrong shade of blue - and that is a lot of little panels to face re-painting, washing and layering all over again.

Heldrake for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40k
Beautiful model, but all those panels can be a pain in the ... exhaust pipe.

Anyway, I'm glad I pushed on and finished him. It let me fall in love with the model all over again, and it looks even better in proper Thousand Sons blue.

  • Exterior armour: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flashshade wash, Golden Griffon drybrush
  • Panels: Thousand Sons base, Nuln Oil wash, Thousand Sons layer, Thousand Sons layer
  • Underbelly: Leadbelcher base, Nuln Oil wash, Ironbreaker drybrush
  • Underside vents: Celestra Grey base, Nihilakh Oxide wash, Coelia Greenshade edges
  • Pipes: Ironbreaker base, Waystone Green glaze
  • Flesh: Rakarth Flesh base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Claws: Ironbreaker base, Charcoal Grey base
  • Mouth: Averland Sunset base, Cassandora Yellow wash, Yriel Yellow highlights, Screamer Pink tongue.
  • Eyes: Stormhost Silver base, Soulstone Red glaze

Heldrake for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40k

For ease of transport, and because I'm a glutton for punishment, I put magnets into the 'ball-and-socket' of the wings. Because the wings are so large, the only magnet big enough t support it is *'just* big enough to fit the ball and socket. It works, and you even get a few choice of poses too.

Heldrake for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40k

This was quite an undertaking a year ago, though I've since got a few more large-sized daemon engines under my belt, so I may shake my phobia of titan-scale models yet!

Heldrake for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40k

In-game, I like them. They don't tend to survive long (and if they do, your opponent is in trouble), but they work really well as an early-pressure unit. With its huge movement and durability and *potentially* devastating flamer (it only seems to be devastating when I lend it to someone else), it's a useful tool when the Thousand Sons have to slog upfield and get into close-range.

Heldrake for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40k

That's me all caught up on my updates, so you can stand easy. I'll be back to my usual sluggardly painting self soon enough.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous model and a gorgeous rendering of it!

    I'm terrified of them in-game (less so out of it, but one cannot be too careful). The speed and carnage they bring to unexpected corners of the battlefield makes them a real threat. And personally, I think they're pretty resilient. They can't take much dedicated firepower before folding, but you do need to concentrate on them. As you do, you're always aware that other threats are advancing ominously elsewhere. Main reason I want to get a Harpy for the 'nids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. I think they're constantly underrated because the D6 Baleflamer attacks can easily disappoint (and possibly because they used to be better in 7th). But the flamer attack is just a bonus - the ability to engage and pressure an enemy line from the get-go is invaluable, especially for a relatively slow army like Thousand Sons.

      If I had any more room in the cabinet, I'd get two.

      Delete
  2. Great paint job and walkthrough. Any luck u have more like this? Like forge/maulerfeinds? Helbrute? Defiler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've done a Helbrute and Defiler in the same scheme.
      You can see them here: https://woffboot.blogspot.com/p/thousand-sons.html

      Delete