Tuesday 15 June 2021

Necromunda: It's an Unfair Cop

 


Nearing the final for our Necromunda campaign!

The third of the optional middle scenarios, and the weirdest, is a showdown held in the doorways of the Precinct. The attacking gangers are calling out the Enforcer Captain for a little mano-a-mano, and it's up to me whether to honourably agree or chicken out. 

Lots of odd rules in this one, I kind of got the impression the White Dwarf writers had some good concepts but hadn't maybe finalised what sort of a game they wanted this one to be. A four-turn game, with everybody from both gangs potentially set up, except that half of the attackers might be turning up from ambush later, except that they probably won't because only the two duelling leaders can actually take actions to start with. 

Each round, both sides get to pick an extra ganger (unless they meant an increasing number of gangers, i.e. +1, then +2, it wasn't well worded) to join the fight. So there's potential for some backstage nobbling of standers-by, although that felt fairer if anybody who got shot at or punched inappropriately (if that ever happens in Necromunda) then also got to join in. Except that the whole fight will be over the minute one of the leaders hits the dirt!

Tldr: it's a confused scenario. 


Well, we set up properly, with my Captain in a doorway facing up against a chanting semi-circle of goons. Calling me out was Goliath wannabe hulk Prince Royale, capable of becoming a terrifying monster once he huffs his steroid inhaler. Not that Captain Aces is a pushover himself, mind!

What it boiled down to was this: do I charge in and try and take him out straight away, nipping this powder keg in its mixed-up bud, or do I run away, aiming for a draw (which somehow means I win according to the rules)?

Well, we came for some action, and that's what I intended to provide. So I charged in, and used a Tactics card to apply Appropriate Force with my massive shield. 


The dice were kind, surprisingly, and I landed a pair of hits that knocked the Goliath clean out, letting me coup-de-grace the brute as a consolidation. End of game, and rather an anti-climax to what had been a long set up! The victory I'd stolen here let me grab back two chunks of the station, so I took my vital walkway to the centre back, then the prison tile too. Finally, I can let the crims out to help defend their captors!

Definite work needed on the rules for this one. The most obvious is to increase the number of active gangers, and let all hell break loose after the duel is settled instead of stopping the game immediately. 

No lasting injuries, so we got straight on to the set-up of the final. More of which next time, as all four gangs come together to attempt a final wipe-out of the entire Enforcer team!

No comments:

Post a Comment