Monday 10 May 2021

EXT: The Local Pool


The cupboards are bare here, I've nothing left to paint. 


Okay, not nothing to paint, there's a bunch of Deep Madness and a few animal companions from Archon kicking about. But nothing I fancied painting, and if there's nothing that grabs my fancy, I just have to build something instead (just like dating in the 90s). 


Three bits of scatter terrain, and first up is this sewage farm. 


It's made of a wooden box lined with concrete, so it's nice and solid. Various decor for the outside, all glue-gunned on to break up the wooden outlines, then a cardboard packing tray stuck on the inside to give a split level. The struts it's resting on are chopped up sprue, the side platform is the last bits of the old GW 'make your own' movement tray set I had hiding in the bits box. 


Concrete texture paint for the walls, with various brown and green inks to give a damp and mouldy appearance. Hexwraith Green makes for a very good slime wash, I've decided. The streaks of green on the bottom of the pools are made of Vallejo thick mud (industrial flavour) washed once with that, it's a good strong tone. 




A few Deep Madness gribblies for decoration, then a layer of Krycel water effects in the top pond. I was a bit short, I reckon it could use another layer, but I ran out. The run-off will get a resin pour too at some point, but I haven't picked a brand yet, and there's no rush. I'd quite like to get some water effects gel to do sploshes and ripples with as well, I reckon. 


Number two scatter is an abandoned pile of wire reels. Nothing special, just some very simple glue-gunning on to card, then spray paint and washes. Could have used a bit more texturing, I reckon, but it's too simple to worry about too much. 

Some of the posters I'd printed out for the Necromunda stuff were just too big to use. These big pots were the perfect place for them. 



Similarly, this final bit, some sort of power/storage stack, is just plastic junk stuck on a base and painted. I took more pains to hide the packaging this time (it's a salt cellar, two pot noodles and some kind of filter for an industrial air-con that I found lying about on the ground outside), using texture paint and then an array of sponges, stickers and transfers to break it all up a bit. 




The wires are stuck into some Archon plastic wall decor, they came from a phone charge cable my youngest daughter destroyed by chewing on it last year. Sprue and more Archon details for the floor, as well as a stray chunk of the GW fragdrill. I still have quite a lot of that kit left over, rails and girders and such. Its moment will come, I'm sure!


Anyway - that's the lot. Good cover from all three bits, they'll probably see action next time I'm hosting a fight. Just after I'd finished, I got a delivery of masses of Archon scatter terrain from the Dungeons and Lasers 2 kickstarter, so my queue is nice and full again!





4 comments:

  1. The sewage plant looks great. And I recognised the first pic on the pots from Rogue Trader! I can't remember the artist, but he did a load of stuff back then, and lots of Dark Future too I believe.

    ReplyDelete