Thursday 21 January 2021

Lords of the Dance


Been a while since the Alpha Legion did any recruiting. Time to remedy that!


First up is a Terminator Lord. You can do some very mean tricks with infantry generally in an Alpha Legion list, having them pop up all over the place like chaotic gophers. Having a teleporting boss fits in very well with the theme, I think, and I'm planning on getting some actual terminators for them in the future to go with. 



For now, he's alone. Still going to cause problems, though - my initial instinct would be to give him the Viper's Bite relic combi-bolter and the Headhunter trait to snipe away characters with impunity. Four D2 shots hitting on 2+, with mortal wounds on a 6 to hit? Who needs a Vindicare?

Not so good against vehicles (unless you count his chainfist, of course), but that's why I've got this guy instead.


He is:

  • D - Discordant
  • I - Impaling
  • S - Spiky
  • C - Chaotic
  • He is O Ooo Oooo


One of those cases of lust at first glance, I'm afraid. The model really grabbed me when it first came out, and despite what Stylus thinks, I was sold before I ever read the rules. Which are of course bonkers, he's got more attacks than he's got spikes and tentacles, and the Alpha Legion trait for survivability is just icing on the cake. Fast and mean, I've already broken him in a little, although he did hilariously badly in a game with no vehicles to pick on. 



Speaking of breaking, he's clearly doomed. A right bugger to assemble, and painted in parts. All those spikes and tentacles! His helmet aeriel is already gone, and unless he is very carefully handled, I'm sure more bits will go the same way. Hence the extra padding on the base in the form of a Narnia-style lamppost, it gives a bit of protection round the back. 



The base is entirely handmade, I managed somehow to lose the actual base from the box in my cupboards somewhere. So it's an oval of foamboard, which let me scoop space for a puddle in, then some chunks of bark and corkboard stuck on before a wild mix of flocks, snow and ice effects were slapped on. Then I had to adjust the model's pose by removing tabs in his thigh joints to give a slightly more dynamic pose. Alas, this has backfired slightly, the rider now looks a little like he might be about to jump off, but luckily not in a bad way.


Technically, neither of these are finished. They both need a final slap of gloss varnish to bring out the colourshift paint (Greenstuff World's Emeral Getaway). But I'm out at the moment, and too impatient to wait until I have some, plus it's very hard to capture in photos anyway. This one goes from metallic green to a blue-purple, you can hopefully see a few glimpses here and there. 

Looking forward to getting them both on the table sometime!

1 comment:

  1. The Disco Lord is such a cool model, I completely agree. You've really done it justice with that colourshift paint - it looks amazing even in the photos, and I'm sure it'd be even better in real life.

    ReplyDelete