Wednesday 20 January 2021

EXT: Coastal Defences

 


A new mat means new terrain!

The beach mat is very lovely, but it does come with the onus of having to do some terrain to match it. I've got plenty of ideas (mostly of some kind of over-elaborate Sword Beach type coastal bunkers, which is unlikely to fit into any space I have in the cupboard), but I started simple with this small hill. 


It's just insulating foam on a card base, cut to shape once it had dried and then painted and flocked. The only additions were some MDF offcuts from previous buildings, stuck on the top as a concrete platform with abandoned hatchway, and then the railings. 

The railings were the chain from a broken necklace (thanks, kids) and a few distressed bars from a sprue. Very quick and easy apart from supergluing the chain in place, as you'd expect with fiddly supergluing. There is still, as I write, a stray link fastened firmly under one thumbnail. Probably means I should have cut my nails, really, but that's now harder given that its reinforced with metal. 


A variety of rusty weathering powders were slapped over it, then a wash with some paint fixer to get them to spread and blend. Light weathering over the grey rocks with a sponge full of yellow ink, then Nihilakh Oxide to give a vague appearance of lichen, lots of flock and then done. A nice easy bit to do alongside the week's models, who will be in tomorrow's post.


Finally, this statue is an extra bit from Deep Madness. He's not really part of the coastal defence. Or not unless YOU fail to stop some cultists from their nefarious midnight work, at any rate. But he was done at the same time by one of my daughters, and came out very nicely, so gets a quick look in here. 


Look for the hill's first appearance in the next battle report!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice. I look forward to more beach paraphernalia : Czech hedgehogs, barbed wire and ice-cream stands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can confirm that a donkey stand is next up, and a beached whale after that.

      Delete
  2. That's typically lovely scenery there, I love the rusted railings up the steps. But I'm saving most of my praise for the Deep Madness daemon - that's really impressive. I showed my boys and they were blown away when I said F (I presume it was her) did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually C! I did tidy it a bit with a drybrush, but all her own work otherwise.

      Delete