Thursday 27 August 2020

Swarms the Heart

 


Plenty of Tyranid reinforcements this summer, eBay had some good deals going. Paint the boring ones first, is my rule!

The one with the fin is from the old batch for comparison


Nineteen Termagants is nothing you're going to leap at the chance to paint. But Pootle needed twenty Termies with Fleshborers for a recent skype battle, and I only had eighteen. The new batch had five beetle grubbers, so I did the others while I was at it. 

It's the same paint job as the original lot, so nothing much to show off. Some of the original colours are now gone, but even if the leg armour is a bit paler they match perfectly well in a big swarm. Good to have a bit of variation, in fact. 



Most of these new ones have Devourers. I can now do a full devilgant squad of thirty, which is pretty murderous firepower by anyone's standards. There's also two with spinefists! Nobody ever gives Termagants spinefists, its a downgrade compared to the other guns. Expect a rewrite when the new codex arrives. Giving them Pistol 2 for 'gants would make them a much better sidegrade, for example.



The other request from Pootle was for Rippers. Rippers are good, cheap annoyances that can pop up on objectives, and clearly a good idea for 9th, so they'd been on my shopping list for a while. I had enough bits from various old sprues, donations from Stylus and the eBay stuff to put together a couple, then I got a bit creative and stole some bits from Deep Madness. 



There's even a Cloaker (Reaper Bones) in there, the flying thing. These are going to be some of the more obscure bioforms that maintain the inner workings of hiveships and such, the equivalents of osteoclasts or macrophages from the human body. Weird blobby creatures that will eat you, basically. The hatching egg used to be an objective marker, but it's made the grade to Troops now, so I can field up to six bases of the chompy horrors. 





Quick to paint, as Nids need to be - it's mostly green inks over white basecoat, sort of a knockoff version Contrast using paints I already have instead of buying new. Kislev Flesh, Seraphim Sepia and Eldar Flesh drybrush, a little freehand for the carapace markings and done. More for the swarm to come!



4 comments:

  1. Looking great as always. I admire your commitment to WYSIWYG to paint up 19 Gants with Fleshborers rather than field two with Devourers! I'd like to think that one of those new ones was the one that held the critical objective all game when we played.

    The variety in the Ripper Swarms looks great too - seems appropriate that there's no telling quite what will hatch out of of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had eighteen with fleshborers from the first batch, in fairness, so I really only had to paint two more. I just got on a roll!

      Delete
  2. Great work! Love the ripper conversions.

    ReplyDelete