Friday 28 August 2020

Made Guard



Why buy models when you can make your own?


When AoS first came out, there were a lot of naysayers. "Look," they said, "these new Stormcast Eternals look exactly like Space Marines!"  And to be fair, they have some kind of a point. These are very simple conversions, more or less just head swaps with backpacks glued on. Quite a lot cheaper than buying a full box of Indomitus, though!

The base is the easy-to-build Stormcast from Mortal Realms magazine no.1, so they cost about a fiver and I got ten spooks and some dice thrown in. A bit of snipping to take away the heads and shoulders, then off to the bits box.



I went through a couple of iterations, switching heads and banners and stuff until I felt happy. There weren't quite enough shoulder pads left in my box to give them all standard armour, and the pads I did have needed Blood Angels iconography sanding off. But I did have some dreadnought and dreadknight spare bits, so these shoulders are actually mostly kneepads. Suitably chonky, I thought. 



They're maybe a little static? But extremely heroic, and I'm interested to see what they can do on the field. Where they will also probably be quite static, in fairness, I have no Primaris transports. They might do well striding about next to, say, the Vindicator to help keep the fender clear of attackers, or squatting on a midfield objective. Not an easy unit to delete!

Very primary, these Primaris, I'm showing my old-school colour aesthetics. 

Painting Guide:

  • Basecoat - Corax White
  • Green - Greenskin, Athonian Camoshade, Jungle Green layer, Neon Green drybrush
  • Yellow - Averland Sunset, Athonian Camoshade, Averland and Flash Gitz Yellow layers, Hexos Palesun drybrush
  • Red - Khorne Red, Carroberg Crimson, Pure Red layer, Wild Rider Red highlights
  • Gold - Retributor Armour, Agrax Earthshade, Gehenna and Auric Armour Gold layers, Sigmarite drybrush
  • Bone and Armour Detail - XV88, Agrax, Ushabti Bone and Skeleton Bone layers, Tyrant Skull drybrush
  • Power Weapons - Ahriman Blue layered up with White
  • Base - Beech leaf litter



They could also fill in as characters handily enough, if I want some footsloggers. Wonder how they'll do on the field?

2 comments:

  1. These are fantastic! I got the first issue of Mortal Realms and had a similar thought that the Stormcast Eternals did look quite Marine-like. But (naturally) I never followed through on that thought so they're languishing in my bits box. They do look really good, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great conversions. I love the guy with the banner - so chill, just hanging out with his shield, ready to cook some fools with his bolter.

    ReplyDelete