Sunday 24 May 2020

The Ninth Gate Opens!

GW Confirms New Warhammer 40k 9th Edition - Spikey Bits

Well, there we go, Ninth Edition is upon us. After attempting to peer into the murky future of 40K, my predictions can finally be matched up against what's coming. How did I do?

You can read the previous Ninth Gate predictions and analysis, which covered each phase of the game individually in these articles:

Types of Magical Scrying

How was that for psychic foretelling? Well, I didn't do all that well. No surprises there! The only one I really got right was that 9th Ed was coming this year, and despite Coronavirus, that was never really going out on a limb. 

I'm actually a bit disappointed with how much change seems to be on the cards! Not being able to tie tanks up in combat is bad news for most of my armies, I suspect, but in fairness, it makes tanks more fun and reliable to use. Paying points for something that does nothing is never enjoyable, in the same way that poor morale used to ruin the joy of taking certain low-Ld troops. I'm also glad to hear terrain is getting an overhaul, I did hope it would.

Tank Rush

A new cycle of codices and rules, well, who knows how it will land! But I'm looking forward to finding out. The starter set looks like being Marines vs Necrons, with updated models for the latter and a bunch of new Primaris options (bikes, assault troops) for the former. I'm sure there will be some great models in there, I'm already impressed by the new Necrons and the Gravis Assault marines with sword and board look lovely.

New Primaris bikers leaked : Warhammer
Here's the likely set of new marines, in all their blurry glory!

But it feels kind of meh, overall, to me. It's the start of the new hype train and the next money cycle. We've been here before, many times, and although it's exciting in some ways, it also makes me feel sad. 8th Ed has been genuinely great, a real boost in the arm to a flagging game. With new rules, you're always looking at a gamble. Will it get better? Or will it go sour? 

My feeling is it's going to improve, honestly. I'll be crossing my fingers for a plastic Tyranid Lord of War this time round, and closing my eyes to the temptation of Necrons. But 8th Ed is always going to have a special place in my heart. Here's to you, old pal, and three years of great gaming. I'm missing you already!

30 Funny I Miss You Memes - QuotesPill

1 comment:

  1. I'm not ambivalent to the new edition, but it doesn't feel like a gear-shift, just continuing along a journey I'm already enjoying.

    Hopefully, 8th Ed will be the foundation of a run like 3rd-7th because, despite its flaws, it's been cracking fun.

    ReplyDelete