Thursday 5 March 2020

The Ninth Gate: Movement


Image result for psychic awakening 40k

Gaze into my crystal ball, unbeliever! A Psychic Awakening is nearly upon us, an era of unknown change approachs, and the writing is on the wall for this great dark age. Behold once more - a grim dark future!


Yeah, I may be buying into the doomsaying of internet prophets. But let's be honest, GW has been releasing a new version of 40K every two to four years with relentless regularity since our current Millenium began.

The current set of army boosters, the Psychic Awakening stuff, feel rather like the fluff build-up just before 8th ed broke. Now, nobody I have read is predicting a total overhaul like that was. And sincerely, I hope it isn't - 8th ed is the best ed so far, I'd say, and I've played a few.

(Specifically, 1st-5th, then took a long break for what seemed like the rotten balancing act of 6th and 7th, and dived back in for this one).


Image result for 40k old editions

With what sounds like a rules tune-up and tweak about on its way this summer, I thought I'd take a moment to have a look at the current edition in a little depth. Specifically, to have a stab at predicting what's going to change so we can all laugh when I'm wrong! But also so I can say what I like in the current game, and what I'd like to see made better.

I thought I'd do this phase by phase, maybe with an additional look at codices. For each one, I'll try and compare it to what I dimly recall of earlier editions and say what I think has improved, and what could benefit from a second pass.

Let's start at the beginning - the movement phase!

Moving Parts



Image result for warhammer 40k tape measure

Back in the day, the movement phase wasn't just the bit where you pushed the models round on the table. It had its own mini-phases, with charges, compulsory moves and psychological effects all bouncing around in the mix. And terrain, which often had its own effects, then as now written in a different section of the book, sometimes made it a confusing and long-winded part.

So much depends on it, after all! Who can see what, what can charge who - your strategy and tactics are almost always the biggest decider in the movement phase. You've got more control over the outcome of it than in any other phase, for starters, it's a lot less dice-dependent.

8th ed does it well by keeping it simple. Terrain rarely adds or subtracts from your base movement, so you can work out where you're going to be pretty quickly. Or, you know, quickly depending on model count. And how precisely you want to position everyone, and I'm naming no names mid-cough here, Pootle!


Image result for croupiers rake strategy map

Other than the basics of shunting the troops where you want them, there is little to interrupt or complicate matters, no sub-phases to get in the wrong order or overlook, and a minimum of dice rolling. It's an easier system, point blank.

Do I miss the occasional rules flourish, like vehicle turrets having a separate line of sight? Or losing control of frenzied troops? Maybe I thought I did at the dawn of 8th, and I do wonder if some of the joy of ridiculous random narrative is sometimes lacking.

But I can't say I do want the old days back. Not that I wouldn't like to suggest a couple of little changes!

Recent Advances



Image result for tie advanced

Look, this is super-small. But I do wish Advancing (that extra d6 of move that sacrifices shooting for being quicker) was called something else! March or Run or, well, I don't know, just anything that doesn't mean the same as 'move forward'.

I've lost track of the number of times I've confused an opponent by saying something like "The Intercessors advance into cover", meaning it in the conventional sense rather than the technical one. It's never caused a problem yet, but then I never go to the LVO. Because I hear people there disembowel each other with tape measures over legal wrangles.

Likelihood of Tweak: 1/10, everyone else has learned this fine by now

8th Ed 3rd Player



Image result for 40K craters

Terrain rules might be nice and simple, but they're a bit boring. I liked the change from 'harder to hit' to 'easier to save' as a cover mechanic, but where are all the interesting tank traps, swamps and minefields from days gone by? I know they are out there, or you can house rule them, but they feel a bit missing from mainstream battles, somehow.

Difficult terrain would be nice to see back, I'd say. Woods and craters slow your charges down, sure, but I'd actually like to see that affecting standard movement as well (having just said I like how simple the movement phase is without such mathematics).

And while we're here - what is with those promethium pipeway rules? Who uses them? The way they are worded means that the more armour-piercing the weapon used on troops cowering behind them, the less likely an explosion is! That's infuriatingly counter-intuitive!


Image result for pipeway explosion
I'M EASILY TRIGGERED

Okay, I know it makes sense from a rules point of view. You don't want to scare people off using them, and high AP weapons are more likely to pick you off anyway. This is what I mean about losing some of the narrative in favour of simplicity, though. Having to, say, roll a d6 if any wounds get through the increased armour save, and the squad takes d3 Mortal Wounds on a six - yeah, it adds a swingy extra dice roll when you don't need one. But I think it's more fun.

Likelihood of Tweak: 1/10, this is probably just me

Next time - the Psychic Phase!

8 comments:

  1. It's a fair cop.

    I'm looking forward to what you think on this - you've got a good perspective across a number of editions, whereas my hazy memories of 1st Ed are the only comparison I've got. I do agree on promethium pipe rules; they're odd!

    I remember GM'ing a game 30 years ago that was nicknamed "The Battle That Never Happened" because my minefields, living plants and marauding Ambulls caused nearly as much damage to the armies as they did. But I maintain that minefields are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In terms of the likelihood of an imminent 9th edition, I think we've probably got another year or so. From GW's perspective a key driver for a new edition is extra revenue from selling the base set and rules. All the new Psychic Awakening books are basically doing that (without having the discounted models in a box set). Another important consideration for them (though from anecdotal evidence, I'm not sure how good they are at this) is keeping their customer base satisfied. Now, I'm not talking about the hardcore gamers who've been with them for ages (and, I gather, rarely have good things to say about them), but about the large numbers of new and returning gamers (like us) who have got back into it in 8th. Many of those will recognise that a new edition doesn't invalidate the armies and game any more than Psychic Awakening or FAQ rebalancings do, but I suspect that there are a fair number of new gamers who would be turned off if a 9th edition comes out hard on the heels of them shelling out for some (or many, surely not all) of the PA books and wouldn't want to invest in the new edition.

    However once PA is done and dusted, GW will not unreasonably look to ensure they continue their record-breaking financial performance. So next year they'll have to publish new rules of some sort or release new miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GW are currently as good as they've ever been in terms of pleasing their customers, in my humble opinion. But I still think a new rulebook will appear this summer, even if it's just a retune of 8th.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on rewording 'Advance' - given the amount of write-ups we do, it's a pain to have that word reserved for a specific use.

    I don't have many other issues with the movement phase, it seems to work pretty well for me. I do prefer the house rule that any level is 3" high, no matter its true height, as it would otherwise make some terrain unscalable. I'd probably also throw in the case that troops up on terrain shouldn't be immune to the attacks of an enormous monster, just because it can't physically get up there to strike them. But that's down to player common sense too.

    The simplification that vehicles can shoot all their guns in one direction, and don't have different side or rear armour values is one I'm happy to accept for a sake of a fluid game. I've played enough WHFB where trying to gauge the 45-degree angle of a unit took up way too much time. Tanks can just move around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you on Monsters! Knights have a strat that lets them punch folk on the top deck that I'd like to see more widely available.

      Delete
    2. Punching at the level of their chest shouldn't require a strat for Knights. If they want to use their kicking attack on a higher floor, though, I'm going to want to see that model specially posed for it...

      Delete
  4. I actually think that terrain rules are likely to get a major overhaul in the mysterious 9th edition. Terrain rules as GW have written them are mostly ignored and they know it. How many terrain features are just treated as ruins and left at that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Plus you see people making house rules to cover tournaments (the ITC stuff about all ruins blocking line of sight at ground level, for example), so clearly folk weren't that impressed. I'm all for simplification, mind you, but I do miss the details!

      Delete