Wednesday 6 September 2017

CMON CMON CMON



Move over, Dungeon Saga. Time to plumb some new depths.




Gah. Eyes. What kind of an idiot puts them right under the deep brim of a big floppy hat? Bloody wizards. 

Massive Darkness finally arrived in Sweden last week. Our container ship got delayed, so we were amongst the last Kickstarters to get our deliveries. But boy, was it worth the wait!

Owen the Paladin. Paladin of Fury, in fact, to give him his full class title. His stubble looks blue in this photo, that's probably why he's so cross.

A fuller writeup to follow in due course, but Kas, Leofa and I have already played and enjoyed the game itself. By way of a brief review, I'd say it's basically everything Mantic could have achieved with Dungeon Saga but done better. The models are great and the game is swift, simple and entertaining.


Sybil the Nightshade Ranger in a very summery frock.
Whisper the Bloodmoon Nightrunner. A very different class to plain old 'Rogue', obviously.

Maybe a little lighter? In terms of detail in the gameplay, as well as perhaps difficulty for the heroes? It's not quite as tough as Zombicide, for example, which it shares more than a few mechanics with. But it's so much faster to play than DS that I don't give a hoot. And not having a GM is a blast.

Bjorn isn't just a Barbarian. He's a Shadow Barbarian. Because the game is set in the darkness, you see. So it's thematically appropriate. 

Now, my current painting production line is still way out the door. But I couldn't resist slapping some pigments on a few of these guys, ready for play. So the core set heroes got done, then a pair of monsters. I really like the cartoony feel they have, it matches the game's artwork very well without making them too weird a match for other fantasy games.

Hellhound! I know the flames could have come out better if I'd been a bit more exacting over the white. But it's the usual thing, that the model looks fine and my awful photography does it limited justice. I swear, your honour. 

After this taster, though, the plan will be to trek through the usual endless supply of doors and minions before getting the rest of the wonderful monsters done. Mind you, I can't grumble. Best doors I've ever seen in a dungeon game, and I've seen a few. So they won't be long in appearing, you can bet.

Yes, Chromatis, you're right. Friendship is magic.

1 comment:

  1. These miniatures alone make me envious. I feel I own the Betamax of dungeon Kickstarters.

    ReplyDelete