Thursday 22 February 2024

Three of Monsters

 


More of the excellent Dungeons and Lasers vintage!

A trio from the 'outdoors monsters' box, a nice range of mid-level big baddies (50mm round bases) for an evening's adventuring. First up, the evil Unicorn from whom I stole the wings for my Tyranid Alpha. Well, he returned the favour, so he's sporting some Tyranid vanes right there. 



It's another commission piece for my youngest - blue with fiery wings was the brief. Once I'd painted it blue, the brief changed to black, and after I'd painted it black, it got changed back to blue. I've retired as a commission painter now, but it didn't stop her taking a parting shot at the eyes. "I said red. Those look white to me."


Next is this Ogre. He clearly lives in a swamp, you can tell by all the crocodile skulls and turtle shells. If that hadn't given it away, the toy on his back might have. Perhaps I should have painted him green, but the fake ta mokos were more fun. 

Donkey!


Finally, this Shambling Mound is a cracker. Not shambling so much as up and swinging! What's particularly nice about him is the little story in the details. 

There's the summoning manual, stuck in amongst the toadstools at the top...

...and there's the wizard who summoned it, lost control of it and ended up as fertiliser.

Plenty more to come, and my inbox is groaning with the news that their next Kickstarter is about to commence. Looks great, but the indoors underground stuff isn't quite my cup of tea. Phew! If it had Necromunda mining bits, I'd be in trouble. There's an option for some very impressive pre-painting, though - knocks the price up by about 50% but looks a lot better than any pre-painted option I've seen before. So again, good that it's not my thing! 



1 comment:

  1. Great work! I can't help but giggle at the slave-driving from your youngest - I feel your pain a little bit when I received directions about making the Zark

    ReplyDelete