Tuesday 6 February 2024

Loose Morels

 


Hard post to write, this. I've painted some fantasy mushrooms, and I want to steer clear of all the obvious puns. 

It's more Dungeons and Lasers. What's left in the box is mostly outdoor-themed monsters and minions, and these boysterous mushrooms grabbed my attention this time round. 

Damn adventurers, get off my celia!


The little fellow had already seen paint from my youngest, but she felt I was allowed to touch it up. There was one condition - I wasn't allowed to redo his penny buns, which were a lovely light blue she felt had turned out rather well. Fair enough.

He's on an inter-cep course.

One size up is this guy. I really like that his weapons are also fungal, but I do wish his sword was a bit less, well, less of a dildo, actually. Mushrooms are quite penile enough without having the similarities rammed home, so to speak. 

Looking fly, Agaric.


The big guy here has been watching his Last of Us, and is going to take you on with one hand tied behind his back. 

You shall go to the puffball, Chanterella

Finally, the big momma, the Elite Bolete. 


I'd painted the clusters of mushrooms at the back as damp rock to start with, not realising they were more 'shrooms until I put my glasses on. Correcting that was a bit of a last moment thing, hence the rather Smurf colour palette, which I slightly regret. Not enough to correct it, mind. 

At the same time, a couple of bits of outstanding scenery. 

A swampy hut...

...and a kingly tent.

Definitely not hinting at anything Bretonnian down the line.

Finally, another larger model that's been lurking on the desk for months. It's a Wyvern, slobbering all over the jolly boat it's wrecked. 

This one's a commission for my eldest. It's her colour scheme, featuring a hand-mixed purple and blue. She felt that the natty dead pirate the model can sport dangling from its claws was a touch too macabre, so that's in the bits box for later, but I'm well pleased to have this fanged monstrosity finished. Cracking piece, the base is particularly nice. The picture at the head of the article shows you the cannon rusting in amongst the rocks there, and I really enjoyed doing the rotting wood of the dinghy.

More to come, but time for some more games first!



2 comments:

  1. Crimini, those are impressive! It maitake me some time to come up with appropriate puns though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work. Right on the button.

    ReplyDelete