Tuesday 27 February 2024

Waaagh! Meet Again...

One thing about an Orc & Goblin army ... there's always more of them.

Night Goblin command group

Observant readers of the blog will notice that I've jumped back into The Old World with some alacrity, and in addition to starting new armies (more on them soon), I dug around my old unpainted pile and dusted off (literally!) some old models.

Night Goblin battle standard

First up is the Night Goblin battle standard - which I really should have added from the start, given their appalling leadership. 

It was part of the original Forge World command group, and while the Giant Cave Squig and vomiting Oddgit were quickly added, the challenge of painting a couple of leering moons on the banner was apparently too daunting.

Fast forward a decade, and either my painting confidence has increased, or my expectations have dropped. Easy to paint standards when you have no standards, I guess.

Black Orc warboss

But the real answer to leadership problems is, of course, a Black Orc Warboss. It's an 40k warboss, who is appropriately bigger than the rest of the boyz, with the modern pieces removed and a massive choppa added (the blade from a minotaur great weapon).

This one was converted up a very long time ago (I was able to order the minotaur weapon separately from the Games Workshop website, which dates it), and at least by waiting this long I was happier to attempt chequerboard and freehand glyphs.

And finally, my real favourites: the Stone Trolls!

Stone Trolls

These weren't painted from scratch, but they needed some chipped paint to be fixed, and a lot of red painted removed from the claws (it was the style of time).

Stone Trolls

They also needed to be rebased to fit the style of the rest of my Waaagh!, which I think brings out their own colours better.

Stone Trolls

As I type this, I have a vague idea that I was originally planning to cover their bases with rocks, but that's what you get for not writing things down.

Stone Trolls

As tabletop models, they're about as effective as trolls ever were. You really need to have an orc general babysit them, to remove their Stupidity effects, which means you're paying twice their points.

Stone Trolls

In many ways, it's surprising that a game that is wonderfully granular in some aspects only has one effect for failing Stupidity - amble forwards. With the points investment and lovely models, you'd think there'd be space for some Madboy-type antics.

Stone Trolls

Either way, that's another chunk of the Waaagh! brought up to scratch - I might actually finish this army one day.

2 comments:

  1. Those trolls are pure classic! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on all those, I particularly like the standard bearer. And I too vividly remember (and miss) the ability to order specific parts from GW! That's how the original Bludteef parts got sourced (and I even ordered a duplicate gretchin in 1991 who ended up on the back of the replacement model over 30 years later)

    ReplyDelete