Monday 22 January 2024

A Common Power to Keep Them All in Awe

 


That's a boxset grand slam. Leviathan done!

The tail end of this set (which was one of the best in a while, I'd say) is made up of the Von Ryan's Leapers and the Psychophage. 

They're not Von Ryan's, they're mine.

The Leapers are a funny one. Quite a decent unit, but I don't think they add much to the Tyranid roster in a way. It's not like the 'Nids are short of fast assault infiltrator units, after all, and they aren't quite priced to move in terms of points. Very pretty though! Their raptorials in particular are very nicely realised, somewhere between hinged claw and mouth. 

Jeepers Leapers

Lovely posing, too, darting through the undergrowth I've glued under them with whippy tails. 

He needs to work on that handshake.

I see you baby
Shaking that ass

The Psychophage, I was more ambivalent about when I saw the previews. Too much like the Venomcrawler, I thought, although it's longer and leggier. Whilst that's still true, it grew on me as I painted it. I'd still prefer to have the option of not having the smoke stuff coming out of the top, and I did nearly chop it off, but I'm out of green stuff at the moment and didn't want to risk mangling the spires if I couldn't repair them. It's okay, I guess, as psychoactive ash clouds go. I could take or leave it. 

Something about that spraying top reminds me of the nightmarish Gonarch from Half Life. Yuk.


So that's that! And, with one very small exception to be revealed, that's my 40K collection done and finished. Never say never, I know, but it'll be pastures new for me if I go on buying models. That's not even a given - not that I'm growing up or anything, and I'll certainly feel bereft without my painting fix. 


I do feel, though, after twelve years of pretty solid painting, that my collection is a laurel I could rest on for a while without fear of hurting anything. Whatever benefits one can reap from a massive stack of painstakingly hand-coloured plastic toys, I am fully prepared to now enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I've not got to the Psychophage yet, but I enjoyed painting the Leapers. If these really are the last Nids you do, they're a great way to finish. You've got a hell of a good collection, so rest awhile...unless GW do something silly like release a fantasy game you'd be tempted by...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant work kraken! I too think these are strange models but you’ve painted them wonderfully. Will there be withdrawals from painting?

    ReplyDelete