Friday 15 September 2023

A Very Special Creation of Bile

Two weeks ago, I was delivered a challenge - to which I immediately responded.

Mjagnir the Jötunn

Of course, this was based off a model I received in 2018, which is a much more accurate reflection of my response time.

As part of a Bullgryn trade long ago, Kraken gifted me with a Mierce Miniatures offcast of Mjagnir the Jötunn (some kind of troll-giant fella, picture above). it was a big chunk of resin. 

Alas, mine was provided without a head, hammer or either of his arms. I'm a fan of Mierce, but I didn't have any spare bits that could match it in scale (even the Warhammer giant wasn't big enough). So it sat for five years as a project-in-waiting. Then Kraken dared me to do something with it.

Mjagnir the Jötunn conversion of a Maulerfiend for Warhammer 40k

The answer should have been obvious: after building my Forgefiend, I had spare Maulerfiend arms and tendrils left over. These actually were the only things that were suitable in scale and, when attached to the body, they would credibly look like a Maulerfiend on its hind legs.

Mjagnir the Jötunn conversion of a Maulerfiend for Warhammer 40k

The arms were sawn down to match the sockets, with some technical gubbins bolted onto the back to make the tendrils look like implants. The Ectoplasma head had a Slaanesh amplifier stuffed into it (I imagine this monster screaming at the enemy as it runs forward), with the tusks from a Tzeentch Screamer (appropriately) added as horns.

Chains, skulls and space marine trophy helmets were added to give additional scale and hide some of the missing pieces of the resin cast.

The rest was filled in with greenstuff, and for the joints, I didn't even have to be that tidy, since I wanted them to look like ragged scar tissue.

Mjagnir the Jötunn conversion of a Maulerfiend for Warhammer 40k

Clearly this was destined for my Creations of Bile army, home of all my daemon engines and madcap conversions. So that stuck to the familiar colour scheme. There was a lot of exposed flesh, so I tried to do a proper job of it: layering up from Bugman's Flesh to Cadian Flesh to Kislev Flesh.

There was already some scar tissue on the skin, so I left that pale, and then gave it a lick of Druchii Violet, which gave it an angry, healing appearance. The same worked for the scar tissue and bits where metal was digging into the flesh (I think these jagged bits were just untrimmed bits of the cast, but I leaned into it).

The chaos tattoo on the chest was a painted-over decal with the same 'redness' of Druchii Violet around the edges.

Mjagnir the Jötunn conversion of a Maulerfiend for Warhammer 40k

To give the model some scale, and to honour their sponsor, I added a fallen Mantis Warrior to the base. A fun colour scheme, although freehanding the pauldron was a challenge.

And so I have a new monster to tower over all my other Creations of Bile: Noisy Boy!

4 comments:

  1. Magical! In an appropriately hideous way, of course. Well worth the five year wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bonus is: that Warhammer Giant I've been holding onto for six years no longer seems so intimidating to paint.

      Delete
  2. It looks absolutely cracking, great work sir!

    ReplyDelete