Monday 18 September 2023

Scrapyard Specials


 Been a busy few weeks for me, sadly not on the painting front. But that’s okay! I have surplus from last year to cover me!

I could have sworn I took more before pictures - it came in plain army green and had a tank turret on the open top there. 

A bit under a year ago, I was trawling a car boot sale when a cheap plastic toy caught my eye. This was round the time when the wastelands had opened up for Necromunda, and I was interested in putting some gang-neutral vehicles together. 

It was also while I was painting the Dungeons and Lasers ruined city pack, which contained this very nice wrecked car. 

Less wrecked now - I glued tyres back on to it as well as a spare melta-gun from the Ambots I was doing at the same time. One of my daughters painted it and then I got told off for getting the graffiti wrong. This was supposed to be the Sweets Wagon, I got told after an evening of painstaking freehand, and decorated with kawaii-style doughnuts. Oh well. 

Back to the main event - the big truck. First of all, it needed a sled to pull behind, somewhere to stow all the random crates. That got botched together from old sprue and corrugated card, plus a twisty bit of gardening wire. 

Something along these lines was the plan, but less neat and tidy looking. Not a problem for my scratch builds, as a rule, but good to pretend it's deliberate.

Then I unscrewed the toy tank, took out the rattling bits and removed the gun turret and put my own bits on instead. It got a pair of heavy bolters and this oerlikon gun-looking cannon at the back (from the Disco Lord no less), and a pair of forward-facing autocannons from a Taurox for the front. 

Then I painted the whole thing grey and pink, because although it's nice to look dirty and wastelandy, it's also important to stand out in as neon and eighties a way as possible. Cyberpunk rules and all that. 

More Taurox bits for the front, to help break up the plain hull.

Not quite sure what to call it - the I stuck with the pacifist concept, which is clearly sincere. Any suggestions for a good, robust military APC name gladly accepted.

It's yet to see use, of course, pending the end of that Necromunda Heist campaign with BillyBob. It's pretty imposing on the table and can always be roped in as scenery at a pinch, plus it's a lot cheaper than the official tanker model. Roll out!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent scrapyarding, that really looks the business!

    For a grimdark name, the brutal wedge shape makes me think of the Roman caput porcinum formation, what about Via Porcinum ('Road Hog')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Latin is rusty, but I think that Via Porcinum is Road of Hogs. Porcus Viarum is what you're driving at - and don't do it again.

      Delete
  2. That's a cool base model and looks great. I'm trying to judge the scale using the bolters on the top and it looks pretty chunky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw - turns out it already had a name. The Cougar AVGP, a Canadian recon vehicle.

    ReplyDelete