Saturday 1 January 2022

Life in the Undergrowth


 Happy New Year! Now watch while I devour this planet.


New 'Nids, who are really some quite old ones. Biovores have been on my wishlist for a while. Everyone says they're a hoot to field, and I've got plenty of unused spore mines on the shelf. I'd definitely prefer a plastic kit to finecast, but it's still a decent kit. 


Also sadly an identikit, however, which meant that I needed some kind of tweak for the second one. It's not much of a difference, but having this one caught in the act of pooting out a spore seemed the quickest and easiest conversion I could manage. If I ever get some UV resin, I shall make splurty bits around the nozzle!


Spore mines to go with these two, obviously - five of them. They fill me with dread, these guys and their spindly resin stems. The aquarium tufts aren't just for show, they're also hopefully providing some resistance to lateral forces. 

My daughter found most of these plastic fronds lying around on the street outside. They're rosemary plants, which makes this Lictor a bit like a lamb roast. 

Which is also the case on these Lictors! Another oldie but goldie. I'm getting in on these for twin reasons. Number one is nostalgia, as they're a venerable unit with great fluff that, like a Carnifex, feels like something no true Tyranid army should be without. 


Alas, the years haven't been kind to them rules-wise, and although they're cheap, they're a bit feeble right now. Hence my second reason for getting these, which is a dreamy hope that they might get T'au Railgunned in the next codex and become the uber-terrifying stealth predators they are billed as. This is also what I'm vaguely alluding to with the mild reposing and conversion on the second Lictor here. It's exactly the same kit, just standing on a log and bowling with Space Marines, but it may not be the only semi-invisible killer of marines out there. 

Not as bad a film as you’d think, either.


I have thirty models left to paint before my queue is exhausted again. No tally of the year for me this time round. Like Stylus, I was on a no-buy promise. Unlike Stylus, I broke my promise and did acquire a grand total of three newbies (I was allowed commission rewards, luckily, but even counting those I easily cleared my backlog by a couple of hundred), but my main achievement was finally getting Deep Madness off the leadpile. Who knows, I may yet play it this year!


4 comments:

  1. These look great, very Predator. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool stuff Kraken, I particularly love the Lictor in the rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about thyme I had some in the army really.

      Delete