Sunday 26 December 2021

Legion the First Day of Christmas

 


The 25th is kind of like Boxing Day back home, and therefore not too early to start painting again. Although I said that during the Julbord as well, in fairness. 


Alpha Legion Headhunters have been on my wish list for a while. It's the over-and-under storm bolters that won me over, I think. Not a pattern I've seen elsewhere, and rather mean-looking. 


Not that the actual marines aren't too bad either! Their scaly breastplates and poison grenades, along with the pre-done shoulder pads, are a nice look. Not completely convinced with the helmets, somehow - I like all the sniper scopes, but the crests that may or may not be a snake swallowing their face are a bit OTT. Still fun!


Headhunter teams are a 30K thing, really. They probably have their own rules there, but in the 40K setting they'll make a nice set of Chaos Chosen. Which, with my usual flair for timing, have just been announced in plastic! Well, that kit doesn't come with five storm bolters, so nuts to them. This particular lot are made from the Forge World conversion parts plus the legs, arms and packs from some MK IV marines, because I like the nobbly bits. 


What I was lacking was a champion. For some time I've been fielding squads of Chaos Marines led by a champion with combi-melta and lightning claw, because one of my Blackstone Fortress marines was converted to have more or less that. But it always felt like cheating, because the gun is really just a melta, and you can't really see his claw. Luckily, the bits box provided, so now I've got a rather more imposing Champion. He'll either lead these guys or a standard squad, depending on the list. 

You can see the MK IV guys are a bit smaller and squatter than the newer stuff (although he is made with a spare MK IV torso, in fairness, with Spellcrow resin legs), but I quite like the classic look

But that wasn't all! My Imperial Assassins got half-assed conversions to larger bases a few years back, when that change was made, and I finally got round to rebasing them properly. 


I did a tiny bit of painting on the Callidus, returning her sword and gun to green from blue and sharpening the highlights on her ponytail a little. Nothing to write home about, really.

The main reason is because I've also (at last) completed the set. Sort of - the Eversor managed to exfiltrate the last post, and ran a campaign of havoc round Kasfunatu's place until he was finally brought to heel inside a stack of Covid tests. I wouldn't use those one, if I was you, Kas. He'll get here eventually, but here's the Culexus for now. 


Merry Culexmas! 

4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! I especially like the Culexus.

    (in fact, he's far too nice to dirty up on the battlefield - I think you should leave him on the shelf all the time...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once his final brother arrives, I do have a plan for a narrative battle. But seeing as there aren't any Thousand Sons players in my local meta (i.e. my house), I can't imagine taking him over the other three very often!

      Delete
    2. Aside from his ascribed anti-psyker role, he's quite handy for tying up really killy units with few, hard-hitting attacks (that only land on 6s).

      Delete
    3. True - but he won’t do much to them in return for his 100 points. Handy against Tyranids, I’d be willing to bet, mind!

      Delete