Thursday 9 September 2021

Hedkrakka's Madmob - Wee Jimmy Krumpie!

Third and final instalment of my Caledonian warbands!
Hedkrakka, Gob of Gork - Hedkrakka's Madmob - Orruk Bonesplittas for Warhammer Underworlds

Let's get Hedkrakkin'

I needed to make up a third warband, after painting the Underworlds starter set, and how could I resist more savage orcs?

Hedkrakka, Gob of Gork - Hedkrakka's Madmob - Orruk Bonesplittas for Warhammer Underworlds
Hedkrakka, Gob of Gork

As a bonus, I discovered my favourite flavour of tartan on Hedkrakka's cloak! Waaagh! Flesh base with Altdorf Guard Blue and Mephiston Red criss-crosses.

Toofdagga - Hedkrakka's Madmob - Orruk Bonesplittas for Warhammer Underworlds
Toofdagga

In game terms, Hedkrakka's Madmob were pretty tasty! I don't know if edition creep is a thing in Underworlds (but let's be honest here), but they seemed to have a lot of tools to deal with the Wraithcreepers and Stormcast.

Not least this Wolverine-inspired savage orruk - Toofdagga. When he got inspired, he could really tear through things.

Dakko Sharp-Stikka - Hedkrakka's Madmob - Orruk Bonesplittas for Warhammer Underworlds
Dakko Sharp-Stikka

In terms of painting these, as with the other ones, speed was my motivation. I basecoated them all with Army Painter's Desert Yellow, and gave a thorough drybrush of Tyrant Skull. With that taken care off, all the browns could be addressed with a selection of washed and contrast paints (Agrax Earthshade, Snakebite Leather, Wychwood and Gor-Grunta Fur for the bases).

After that, the bone could be highlighted with Ushabti Bone and Screaming Skull, and I went big and green for the flesh: Warpstone Glow with a Biel-Tan Green wash.

Wollop da Skul for Hedkrakka's Madmob - Orruk Bonesplittas for Warhammer Underworlds
Wollop da Skul

I also put the Biel-Tan Green wash directly over the beige undercoat for Wollop da Skul's (does exactly what it says on the tin) reptilian tunic - and that came out pretty effective.

Wollop da Skul for Hedkrakka's Madmob - Orruk Bonesplittas for Warhammer Underworlds
Wollop da Skul

And that was the final warband finished! They've now been handed over to rampage with their new owners, leaving me with something of an Underworlds deficit.

Hedkrakka's Madmob - Orruk Bonesplittas for Warhammer Underworlds

Maybe I should crack on and paint some of my own.

1 comment: