Thursday 12 November 2020

Chimera! (not the monster)

 Worlds are colliding. I don't know what's going on any more.

Warhammer Chimera vs Chimera

Let's roll out!

As I've mentioned before, painting vehicles doesn't come naturally to me. If I didn't get to scribble names on the turrets, I probably wouldn't bother.

Imperial Guard Chimera for Warhammer 40k

The first addition to the motor pool is a Chimera transport, which fell out of favour in 8th edition, due to Guardsman already being pretty mobile when an officer is yelling at them (and also: who would spend points to protect an infantry squad?)

I think they may have more utility in the objective-squatting style of 9th Edition, and maybe they'll keep a veteran or command squad alive for another turn.

Imperial Guard Chimera for Warhammer 40k

The paint scheme was simple: spray Mechanicus Standard Grey, wash all over with Agrax Earthshade, overbrush the camo pattern with Castellan Green, and then pick out the metallics with Leadbelcher and Nuln Oil. The tracks got a coating of desert texture paint, followed by more Agrax and a drybrush of Karak Stone.

Imperial Guard Leman Russ for Warhammer 40k

This warmed me up to attempt the real workhorse of the Imperial Guard - the Leman Russ!

I can field all the turret options, thanks to some magnetisation from Leofa (although I haven't painted the other guns yet - told you vehicles weren't my strong suit), and the hull guns just push into place (which is a good thing because flamers suddenly became a good option ... as did multi meltas ... as did heavy bolters...)

Imperial Guard Leman Russ for Warhammer 40k

And to finish off the turret, the ubiquitous tank commander with a sword. This gives me the option to use it as a Tank Commander, although I suspect that none of my turrets will be buttoned-up, as I like painting the people more than the vehicle.

I've got a couple more of these to bulk out my Guard army (just don't hold your breath for them).

2 comments:

  1. You've got a basilisk somewhere, right? It's not guard without a basilisk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it's currently deployed at its minimum effective range: 30 miles down the road in my local GW.

      Delete