Thursday 2 July 2020

Sexy, Sexy Contrast

My whistlestop tour of Contrast paints for Chaos Daemons continues with the toughest challenge of all - Slaanesh!

Fiends Slaanesh Daemons painted with Citadel Contrast for Warhammer 40k

Let's keep it PG-13, please.

This is the daemonic contingent of fewest number. Not that I have anything against daemonettes, but I've already got plenty of expendable close-combat troops in the Bloodletters, and I'm running out of cupboard space.

Fiends Slaanesh Daemons painted with Citadel Contrast for Warhammer 40k

So I if had to pick just a few Slaanesh daemons, there was no question that it would be the Fiends. I think they're some of the best sculpts in the Daemon range (and not too shabby on the table, as I've discovered).

Fiends Slaanesh Daemons painted with Citadel Contrast for Warhammer 40k

That said, I found them an intimidating prospect to paint, especially as I want to do them mostly with Contrast paints. Unlike the other factions, there's no hiding place - you can't cover up your mistakes with pus, blood, or just pretend you wanted it to look weird all along.

Fiends Slaanesh Daemons painted with Citadel Contrast for Warhammer 40k

They didn't turn out too bad in the end. Magos Purple gave some nice definition, and is pretty good as a pink colour (despite its name - one of the reasons for doing all these in Contrast is so I can get familiar with how these paints behave).

The hardest part was doing the white flesh first, which meant I had to be really careful about applying the colour elsewhere. But all, in all, I'd happily do more of these.

  • Undercoat: Grey Seer
  • Skin: Apothecary White Contrast, White Scar drybrush
  • Limbs: Magos Purple
  • Back ridges: Shyish Purple
  • Loincloth: Shyish Purple
  • Claws: Templar Black
  • Horns: Templar Black
  • Eyes: Ahriman Blue, Drakenhof Nightshade wash
  • Tongue: Akhelian Green
  • Fastenings: Ironbreaker base, Druchii Violet wash
  • Gems: Ahriman Blue, Drakenhof Nightshade wash

Infernal Enrapturess Slaanesh Daemon painted with Citadel Contrast for Warhammer 40k

Naturally, I'll need an HQ to lead them, and the Infernal Enrapturess is the best herald-level miniature for them.

I have mixed feelings about 'static' models - I mean, how fast can that poor harp guy really move across the table? I guess daemon magic is doing its thing, but it doesn't seem that dynamic, even though I really like it as a character piece.

Either way, it looks nice and seems quite handy on the field (anything that shoots is handy for daemons). Same colours as the Fiends, with Guilliman Flesh for the victim, which comes our really well for a one-coat flesh tone.

Infernal Enrapturess Slaanesh Daemon painted with Citadel Contrast for Warhammer 40k

So that's the Slaanesh contingent done. Much as I would like to add to it, I will try not to be led into temptation (Slaanesh doesn't do temptation, right?)

Fiends Slaanesh Daemons painted with Citadel Contrast for Warhammer 40k

9 comments:

  1. They look great! I love the contrast between the pink limbs and grey bodies of the fiend. I also agree with you on the Enrapturess - it looks more like a diorama piece, but is a great model

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be a great diorama piece. Similar to The Contorted Epitome - lovely piece, but a bit static.

      Delete
  2. They are great models, and clearly pretty fierce on the table too!

    For my money, you still can't beat the old ones with the freakish row of half-boobs,but that's because I'm a dodgy old man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ones also come with a row of half-boobs, but now they have underwire support.

      Delete
  3. They look brilliant! Contrast seems to work really well for these guys. Out of interest, how big are they compared to the older models? They look massive, but I haven't actually seen them in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The key part was Apothecary White - I've heard mixed reports, but it did the trick for me.
      I don't have the older Fiends to compare, but these guys are about 65mm from head to base.

      Delete
    2. Yeh it turned out great. Ok that’s helpful actually cheers!

      Delete
  4. I did a handy tutorial on painting Daemonettes which uses Contrast, I agree, it’s great for organic models. Need to paint up some Tyranids to really test it! Daemonettes: https://weemen.blogspot.com/2020/04/tutorial-how-to-paint-chaos-daemons.html basically Magos Purple over Daemonette Hide and Claws Shylish Purple.

    ReplyDelete