Friday 17 August 2018

They Deep Too Dug


To cut a long story short, I painted more Dwarves.




There's still a sad part of my soul that hankers after a Chaos Dwarf army. Even though they haven't really made it into AoS mainstream, probably because the (lovely) Forgeworld Resin stuff costs more than a real life steampunk army of psychotic artillerists would. And even though I don't really play AoS any more, in fact.


For about ten seconds, I thought about painting these guys up like my miniscule Dawi Zarr collection. But the bright blue and orange scheme was a bit of a leap, really, especially for models for a game all about Darkness. So grimy metals and scabby beards it was, and there they'll stay.


Now I've looked at the pictures on the camera, I see I forgot to drybrush the handles of their cleavers. Dammit, there's always something. Might come back for it later, or might just leave it. They're only fodder, after all, and there's still more to be done.


Love the agent. Twin swords and hexagonal scale armour, just like the other Agents in the box, but this one came out particularly well. Mean little bugger.

Painting Guide:


  • Undercoat - Mournfang Brown
  • Flesh - Agrax Wash, Gorthor Brown, Gorthor plus Rakarth Flesh highlights
  • Beards - Either Dawnstone, Agrax and Athonian Camoshade washes, then Dawnstone drybrush and Ulthuan Grey detailed layer or Rakarth Flesh, Seraphim Sepia and Athonian Camoshade washes, Flayed One Flesh highlights
  • Robes - Either Guillman Blue, Drakenhof Nightshade, Shadow Grey and Lothern Blue layers or Black, Eshin Grey and Dawnstone highlights
  • Armour - Skrag Brown, Agrax and Nuln Oil, Leadbelcher, Runefang Steel drybrush
  • Reds - Screamer Pink, Carroberg Crimson wash, Wazdakka and Wild Rider reds in layers
  • Eyes - Dawnstone, Nuln Oil, Dawnstone dot, Ulthan Grey tiny dot, some of them got Etherium Blue dots instead
  • Bags and Pouches - Deathworld Forest, Athonian Camoshade, Hiveworld Ash


Three whole monsters this week! Plus this bonus one, because I suddenly felt bad about my neglected Reaper Bones miniatures.


First up is my least favourite of the whole lot. There aren't many duff sculpts from CMON, but this is a rare miss for me. Weird hips, funny pose, narrow face and really far out 80s bone shoulder pads. Didn't like it and couldn't figure out what to do with it. This nod to World of Warcraft Infernals is the best I could come up with. It's okay and works well enough that I'm not going to think about it again, so that's fine.


Next is a tribute piece to Stylus's Thousand Sons, a Rubric Marine on dress down Friday.


Funny, I didn't like the model when I saw the preview pictures. But in the (withered) flesh, it's fun. Plus I love that they mummified his beard.


Finally, my favourite of the week - this majestic minotaur, a real cracker of a piece. Another World of Warcraft looking dude, actually, there's something quite Tauren about him. Very enjoyable to paint, anyway, and both bulky and eyecatching. He's on the larger end of the monsters in the box, but he is by no means the largest.


Onwards! A fairly achievable pool to wade through now, and the last minions on their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment