Sunday 31 March 2024

Woodland Pals


There's not masses left of the DnL stockpile here. Enough to keep me going at my present rate, though - I've slowed right down lately (new job). 

First off, here's a trio of horse people. 

Shaman

Horse archer - love the pose, although it totally hides his face from most angles

Axeman

Then another pair of beastly types.

Furry bagman

Piper at the Gates of Dawn


Then there's a massive snake. It's another commission piece, and there was a long discussion about the painting. My daughter reckoned that the bit draped over the snake's back was a cozy blanket; I reckoned it was an old skin being moulted.


That's how I painted it, and it wasn't a popular choice. Too late to change it now, though, the varnish is on, and you can't see it in any of these pictures anyway. Dunno why I mentioned it, really. 

After that, I went aquatic. 

Flying fishwife

Angler's Lure

Strange woman in pond

The last bit is set in a Mierce base, which comes with a nice recess for water or swamp effects. I painted the bottom blue, filled the recess with Vallejo Water Effect Gel (the sculpting one for doing waves) and stuck her into it. A quick poke with the end of a paintbrush to give a few circular ripples, and done. It was a bit thick, so it hasn't quite cured properly at the bottom, but the greyish colour kind of looks like her dress floating about under the surface, so I'm quite content. 

Insects next!

2 comments:

  1. Quite a fun collection. Given the sword, I presume the lady in the pond is an Arthurian reference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She must be, she's too well-dressed for an ordinary beachcomber.

      Delete