Monday 28 August 2023

Orkhammer 1990

 


Pootle here with pics of a few proper Oldhammer Orks I've painted up.


I've a game against Winters coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm taking an Ork list featuring quite a few of my original early-90s Orks. However when I put the list together there were a few models that needed a fresh coat of paint.

This fellow for example would make a great Nob with Waaagh Banner, but I was slightly embarrassed by the banner (which was cut out of an old White Dwarf and painted, with an addition of my warlord Bludteef's personal icon).


So after  an extended bath in Tesco Multi-Surface Cleaner, replacing the old plasma gun for a new Kustom Shoota and drawing a new banner from scratch, he emerged in much more appropriate fashion. I'm really pleased with how he's turned out!


The Warbuggy on the right is a recently painted one (apart from the rear mud guards interestingly, which date to 1990 and were done by a friend who then gave the partially-painted model to me), but I'm embarrassed to take the one on the left to Winters, so he got the dip treatment as well.


In addition, I decided to run three Warbuggies as Warbikers, so need a Nob with a Power Klaw to lead them. I remembered this old model and managed to track the Nob passenger down on eBay along with another old lead Warbuggy.


Both arrived plastered in very thick layers of garish paint: no Duncan Rhodes thin layers here, so off to the dip they went.


I'd forgotten how tricky it is converting lead models (I snapped a couple of scalpel blades) but was pretty pleased to assemble these two, making them look different enough from the already painted one (Ork vehicles all looking the same is anathema to me).


Fully painted up, they look good...but far too neat and tidy, so I have to add lots of chipped paint and mud to them now: car washes are not something that Orks are fans off, though I imagine they do periodically add another layer of red paint over whatever mud, blood and rust has coated their vehicles.


Similarly, I freehanded some banners, but they need to be damaged too.


Here’s the second in its rusty, dusty glory.


And here's the completed mob of three Buggies/Bikes


5 comments:

  1. Doesn't need more nails - spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Imagine that: exactly the right amount of nails!

      Delete
  2. I love these, and the banners you've made are perfect.
    (my lead buggies are looking at me accusingly from deep storage)

    Good luck in the battle report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. One problem now is that I've got three units with back banners (including Bludteef himself), so I've got rather a lot of units looking accusingly at me from prominent shelves...

      Delete