Tuesday 5 March 2019

Reivers: Going Commando

Reivers: the only deepstriking Primaris units in Phobos-pattern armour.*

Space Wolves Primaris Reivers

*until Shadowspear launches next week.

After a February of playing a lot of games and doing very little painting, I've finally getting back into the Space Wolves groove. Time for some mean dogs!

Space Wolves Primaris ReiversSpace Wolves Primaris Reivers

Reivers generally have a bad reputation in the competitive scene for being overcosted and not providing enough damage output.

My personal view is that Reivers would have to cost twice as much, and be half as effective, before I'd turn down the chance to field skull-faced marines with massive ka-bar knives who can grapnel their way around the table like Batman.

Space Wolves Primaris ReiversSpace Wolves Primaris Reivers

Also - and this is subject to me actually using them on the tabletop - but I can't help feeling that people who complain about their lack of combat punch aren't really using them as intended.

They strike me - both in the fluff and tabletop rules - as indirect support troops. Deekstrike in with grav-chutes, use the grapnels to stay out of trouble, lob some blind grenades for a real combat unit, terrorise weak units or rear-echelon characters, and generally be an objective-grabbing nuisance that requires a bit of effort to shift. Time will tell.

Space Wolves Primaris Reivers

The second unit was given the bolt carbines - slightly redundant, as I've already got plenty of these on my Intercessors, but they look so damn cool, I couldn't say no!

Space Wolves Primaris ReiversSpace Wolves Primaris Reivers

No wolf-type customisation on these guys - although the skull masks and big knives seem suitably Fenrisian. I also left off the grav-chute vanes, since I didn't really like what it did the model's silhouette (and they were certain to snap off the first time in transit).

Space Wolves Primaris ReiversSpace Wolves Primaris Reivers


Similar paint scheme to previous Wolves, since the point of the exercise is to bash these out quickly:
  • Armour: The Fang base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Russ Grey drybrush, Fenrisian Grey drybrush
  • Yellow pauldron: Averland Sunset base, Cassandora Yellow wash, Yriel Yellow drybrush
  • Imperial Aquila: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flashshade wash, Golden Griffon drybrush
  • Belt buckle, helmet coils and gun parts: Ironbreaker base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Gun frame: Chaos Black
  • Eye Lens: Evil Sunz Scarlet
  • Belts and holsters: XV-88 base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Grenades: Waaagh! Flesh, Nuln Oil
  • Base: Vajello Earth Texture, Agrax Earthshade wash, Mounfang Brown lip

Space Wolves Primaris Reivers
Space Wolves Primaris Reivers

And so The Rout grows - I'm halfway there, and I want to get it done before the snow thaws!

7 comments:

  1. Aha! I knew there'd be more than on Instagram. No grapple hook? A dead giveaway!

    They look brilliant! I have a soft spot for Reivers. There is an incredible display in the Glasgow Warhammer store, with Reivers grappling to buildings and flying about, that has brought them to life for me!

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! I'll admit the Reivers were the deciding factor in going for a Primaris army - I love the way they look.

      I wasn't brave enough to try the one firing his grapple mid-air - seemed like it was asking to either get snapped off in transit, or caught on my sleeve every time I leaned over the table!

      Delete
  2. Rule of Cool is in full effect for Reivers. Yeah, when looked at purely by the numbers, they're definitely lacking (even taking good tactics into account), but since the Models and fluff have them basically like some combination of Batman and The Punisher, I'm still taking them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same place, although I'm hoping their datasheet will get updated to include the 'Phobos armour' keyword.
      There doesn't seem to be much in the new Obscuration psychic powers that would help them out, but you never know what stratagems could boost them.

      Delete
    2. The thing I love best about Phobos armour is the 'too-short-trouser' look they all have. Like they've grown out of their armour last term and mum and dad can't afford new uniform.

      Delete
    3. Depending on the angle, they sometimes look like they're wearing either Crocs or flip-flops, too!

      Delete