Monday 4 February 2019

Flaming Primaris!

The Vlka Fenrika grows in number.

Space Wolves Primaris Aggressor

Let us gather around the fire ... and set fire to things!

Primaris Aggressors with flamestorm gauntlets. Try a charge on these boys, and you'll be facing over-overwatch.

Space Wolves Primaris Aggressor

I wasn't wholly convinced by the virtue of a slow-moving unit with a short-ranged weapon, but they've been doing a fine job in the Zamaroon Campaign. Being reasonably tough, they can run upfield to punch with their power fists, and flame anything that comes at them.

Space Wolves Primaris Aggressor

Despite being ersatz Terminators, they lack an invulnerable save (or the ability to deepstrike), but compensate with a higher toughness. A sizeable unit of them makes for an intimidating distraction unit.

Space Wolves Primaris Aggressor

You can blame Warhammer Conquest for the fact that I have this unit at all - I couldn't resist grabbing a couple of copies to get all six Aggressors (and now I have to work out a strategy for when you field a lot of Aggressors!)

Space Wolves Primaris Aggressor

Painting these was basically the same as the Intercessors, though their left pauldron is black/white, to denote their role as fire support (I have to say, for a famously indisciplined chapter, I am very taken with the Space Wolves colour-coding system).
  • Armour: The Fang base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Russ Grey drybrush, Fenrisian Grey drybrush
  • Yellow pauldron: Averland Sunset base, Cassandora Yellow wash, Yriel Yellow drybrush
  • Black pauldron: Chaos Black base
  • Imperial Aquila: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flashshade wash, Golden Griffon drybrush
  • Helmet coils and gun parts: Ironbreaker base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Eye Lens: Evil Sunz Scarlet
  • Belts: XV-88 base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Cables: Jokaro Orange base, Nulk Oil wash
  • Cable strips: Balthazar Gold base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Base: Vajello Earth Texture, Agrax Earthshade wash, Mounfang Brown lip

Space Wolves Primaris Aggressor

Though they're bigger models, painting them was even easier than the Intercessors (it helps that their guns a spread wide, rather than held across their chests - that's always a bugger to reach). Which helps as I have ... another six to paint.

Space Wolves Primaris Aggressors

And another lovely Space Wolves pack is complete. I'm already having a more productive start to the year!

Space Wolves Primaris Aggressors

Coming up next: my very favourite unit.

5 comments:

  1. That's what, twelve D6 in overwatch? Autohitting? I may have an appointment somewhere else to do something very important.

    Lovely squad - are those transfers or freehand on the shoulders? I can't tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only they were Salamanders ... that Flamecraft stratagem is made for big units of Flamer Aggressors.

      I'm flattered by your belief in my freehand abilities - but it's transfers on both shoulders and the back runes. I'm doing my darnest to crank out this army at a decent pace, so am actively stopping myself from getting to fancy with it (I am, after all, a Thousand Sons player and ought to hate them).

      And if they stand still, its 24 x D6 autohits on Overwatch. Sweet dreams.

      Delete
  2. Looking good! I really like the SW insignia system, too. Lots of cool stuff you can do with it, and it's fun coming up with stuff simple enough that I can freehand it. The one big change I make to it is that I do Wolf Guard in gold instead of yellow.

    Flamestorm Aggressors are kind of awkward. They're obscenely deadly when they get in range, but being so slow and short-ranged (and not actually particularly durable), they often don't last that long. The only options I've found so far that seem viable are a Repulsor, or running them as DeathWatch, who can Teleport them. SW do have that Outflank Stratagem, so that might be viable there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was thinking that the Cunning of the Wolf stratagem would be the best bet for getting Aggressors where they need to be (unlike other codices, I don't think it scales for Power Level and there's no restriction on how many times you can do it).

      Flamer Aggressors would still appear on the board out of range (so I think the boltstorm ones are better for that), but six of them appearing in a vulnerable spot would be enough to cause a problem.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it's not perfect, but at the moment, it's about as good as it gets. Well, in normal games at least. I played a game with the Open War cards where the Deployment Zones were like 6" apart, and they accounted for at least three or four Units all by themselves before my Opponent finally managed to get a large enough Unit of PoxWalkers over there to survive the Overwatch.

      They used to be great with Raven Guard as well, but that got completely nerfed by the Big FAQ.

      Delete