Saturday 23 February 2019

Eljarhead


Or if we're going with another sniper movie pun, Eldar Maid at the Gates.


A very short painting progress post - it's just the one, the movie trope lone sniper from the Blackstone Fortress set. Although in fairness, she's not the lone sniper, there's the ratling one too. But if you're going to romanticise one model from the box, it would probably be this one.


Ulthwe is my craftworld of choice for this one. They're probably not my favourite Craftworld, I do prefer the green and white of Biel-tan, who thingummy here is supposed to be from. There's nothing to be gained in following the examples here, though, sheeple! Duncan's not the boss of you!


I took a bit more time than usual on this, seeing as it got solo attention. Nothing more to say, really. I like the model (strong pose, nice detail) and I'm pleased with how it came out, right down to the slightly crude Tears of Isha rune on the coat. Negavolts next, they're the last bit of slog before the final curtain!

Painting Guide:

  • Coat - Black, Eshin Grey layer, Dawnstone Layer, very dilute white layer, Nuln Oil. Lining done with Rakarth Flesh, washed with Nuln Oil, built back up to Pallid Wych Flesh with White highlights. 
  • Armour - Incubi Darkness, Nuln Oil Gloss, Incubi Darkness layered up with a tiny bit of white
  • Gun/Bone bits - Standard GW rules here, Ushabti Bone + Seraphim Sepia, Ushabti again, Tyrant Skull drybrush, Pallid Wych Flesh highlights
  • Knife Blade - Pallid Wychflesh, three thin coats of Tropical Green shimmer paint, which comes out in a nice mother of pearl effect
  • Red - Khorne Red, Carroberg Crimson, Wazdakka Red, Wild Rider Red
  • Chaps and Gaunlets - Rhinox Hide, Nuln Oil, Rhinox layered up with Skrag Brown, Skrag Brown layered up with a dot of white
  • Gems - Xereus Purple, Druchii Violet, Khorne Red, Wazdakka Red, Wild Rider, plain white dots
  • Base - plasma lines done with Ahriman Blue or Genestealer Purple, washed in at the sides with a diluted mix of 50-50 of the same colour with Lahmian Medium, then layered up towards white. Stonework is one of the texture paints, Armageddon Dust I think, which I got a cheap pot of because it was a bit thicker than it ought to be. Painted it Eshin Grey, then Nuln Oil, then a quick drybrush of Terminatus Stone




3 comments:

  1. Isn't the Kroot basically a sniper, too?

    Ulthwe looks good there. Biel-Tan is my fave Eldar colour scheme, tho, so I'm going with that when I get around to finishing her. Well, a modification of it. I'm going to try to do something similar to the basing with her cloak, like it's adaptive active camo that's mimicking the surroundings. We'll see if I can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good!

    And you're right about the Kelly, really, he looks snipey as well. Dunno why I didn't think of him. Maybe there's a philosophical discussion there about the difference between a sniper and a hunter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by Kelly I mean kroot, thanks autocorrect. When will you ever learn - R Kroot is my favourite artist, after all.

      Delete