Tuesday 26 October 2021

Deep Dive Done

 


I reached the bottom!


One final batch, and I saved a couple of good ones for last. Here's an Atrocity, the last of the set of three. I know I did one as Spawn for the Alpha Legion, but I can't find the third. 



This guy is another Boss creature, the Madness Within. It's double-sided, just like an LP, because it's the result of two dabbling scientists fusing together. 


I also saved some trickier models until last - Mind Eaters are a nice sculpt, but there's 1) lots of them and 2) they are tiny and fiddly and have no bases. Bit of a hassle doing them, but once I'd found a good colour scheme they didn't take too long. Drybrushing darker layers over skintones was an idea I nabbed from someone else's painting, but when I came back to look for their name to credit them with it, I couldn't find the same image. They'd also done the glowing three-lobed eye (Haunter of the Dark reference!) and it looked great, so I copied that too!


Mind Eaters are hatched by these poor Husks, who pull them out of their ruptured bowels to unleash them on the heroes. Nicely grisly creature, this, I did the intestines in the same colours as the little scuttlers to try and tie them together. 

Desire to Know More decreases sharply

Husks aren't the only givers of birth for the Mind Eaters. There's also this Nest, another Boss, who spews them constantly. Based rather on a classic sci-fi alien bug, one can't help suspect, but still a jolly good wobbly horror for the collection. 


And that's the lot! Or, well, full disclosure, not quite the whole lot. The Dagon model now belongs to my youngest and is technically painted (mostly orange), and there's a pair of Immortals and a pair of Wrecked that I didn't do myself but am not allowed to redo. And for some reason, I got duplicate sculpts of one of the heroes (and the cat), which I certainly can't be bothered with. But I've still managed a pretty comprehensive work-up of the kit, and I'm pretty pleased with it all. Even got a couple of Instagram likes from Diemension Games, the manufacturer, which was a nice boost! Apart from anything else, it means I can proxy a Daemon army for 40K without too much bother, so expect some experiments with that in the future.

Next step is to actually play the game. Probably solo first, so I can learn the rules (which aren't as bad as I thought, having re-read them). Luckily, I have time to do that, because there's nothing else in my paint queue right now. Setting drives to idle!

3 comments:

  1. Good work on completing all that nightmare fodder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta! Very good to have it off the list after a mere four years.

      Delete
  2. Well done sir! There are some seriously cool models in there and your painting is top notch as always

    ReplyDelete