Friday 30 August 2019

The Theory of Gravisy

I promise I had started this Gravis Armour update before the FAQ made them awesome. I'm just a slow painter!

Conversion for Space Wolves Wolf Lord in Gravis Armour


Beginning with the Wolf Lord in Gravis Armour. He's been on my wish list ever since my existing characters hopelessly embarrassed themselves in melee, and I just wanted a leader who could actually be a bit handy in a fight.

Conversion for Space Wolves Wolf Lord in Gravis ArmourConversion for Space Wolves Wolf Lord in Gravis Armour

Some mild conversions to 'Fenris'' him up a little bit - a wolf helmet and frost axe from the Space Wolves upgrade sprue (the classic one, not the primaris one).

He can waddle forward with his power fist and shock assault (added to the Space Wolves to-hit bonus) and hopefully do a little better than my erstwhile Battle Leader, Sven Rubber-Axe.

Conversion for Space Wolves Wolf Lord in Gravis Armour

And now he gets an extra wound! He's practically a Dreadnought now. One thing for sure, I won't be holding this guy at the backline giving rerolls to the Hellblasters.

Space Wolves Inceptors

Continuing the Gravis theme - I added a couple more Inceptors with Assault Bolters, because they were great before and are even better now. These are the Dark Imperium versions, so they don't get the handles on their weapons (but for a fraction of the cost, I can live with that), but I was able to reposition the arms to give some variety.

And now for the big attraction...

Conversion for Space Wolves Redemptor Dreadnought

After my wooden spoon winning effort at the last WoffBoot, I sought the tactical sagacity of Kraken, who advised me that I needed some dreadnoughts (so if I get beaten now, it's his fault).

Conversion for Space Wolves Redemptor Dreadnought

This is the easy-to-build Redemptor Dreadnought (and WOW, is he a big fella), though naturally I couldn't resist throwing in a few conversion bits (all from the Venerable Dreadnought kit, which is also on the painting table to come).

I held off from getting this model (despite it being a considerable saving on the full kit) because the bow-legged stance was putting me off. Turns out, with a bit of sawing and repositioning, he can have a much more dynamic pose quite easily.

The other bit of conversion was to swap the rocket launchers for stormbolters (re: nipple bolters) - made with some drilled-out spear hafts and greenstuff.

Conversion for Space Wolves Redemptor Dreadnought

And since the base is such a big one, I had to decorate it. Luckily, I'm not short of a few Thousand Sons pieces to place being crushed underfoot.

Conversion for Space Wolves Redemptor Dreadnought
"Paint me like one of your French girls, Jack."

So that's a bit of heft added to my Space Wolves - who will be taking the field tomorrow at the first Deployment Zone Open Day. It's more of a social event - so just 1000pt armies - which allows me to try out an all-Gravis Vanguard force.

Space Wolves Gravis Armour Vanguard
Which is either going to be a bit of fun, or a hellish fusillade of small-arms.

See you on the other side!

7 comments:

  1. You took tactical advice from me? Are you sure that's wise?

    Smashing job on the paint, though. That Wolf Lord in particular is a sweet model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll gladly take your tactical advice ... but I'll never let you roll dice for me.

      And thanks - I'm happy with the way these Space Wolves are shaping up (considering they're just a quick, on-the-side project ... that is now clearing 2000pts)

      Delete
  2. Those are looking awesome! The axe fits nicely on the Wolf Lord, but the helmet really makes it.

    That SW Redemptor is just flat out badass, tho. One of the coolest Dreads I've seen in a while, and that's saying something. Have you built one of the full Redemptor kits? The posability on those is amazing. I'm not surprised that even the ETB version can be chopped and re-posed so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. No, I haven't tried the full Redemptor (yet - although I like the idea of having two). I wasn't totally convinced about the model at first, so I thought I'd try out the cheaper version. Now it's done, with a few bits changed, I really like it.

      Delete
    2. I wasn't too sure, but the ETB one doesn't have the Plasma option. It's also possible to build it almost fully swappable without even using magnets. The only thing that's an issue is the Icarus Launcher, but all the other options can just pressure-fit.

      Delete