Monday 4 June 2018

Look Good, Pay Less


Very nearly the last of the Crypt Angels!





Just three here, but quite a hefty trio. These paired Primaris Dreadnoughts came with a weapon swap and various magnetised bits, which was a blessing as it makes the gun options much easier to paint.

I didn't have space to finish the slogan on the scrollwork. 'Good Coffee' is how it's supposed to finish. 

Nice big armour surfaces, so plenty of opportunities for some freehand. Nothing too surprising here, of course, just the usual toothy flappy stuff.

Same frame but with the assault cannon instead. 

And some base flare - stones and tufts, plus a bit of brass in the form of a shot-up sign.

This one is the easy-fit one. There's a tiny bit of missing detail in places where you don't care (bottom of the hull has fewer control panels, the smokestacks at the back aren't hollow), but it's otherwise identical.

So far, so easy. The big flat surfaces were simple enough to do, so I took a bit of extra time on the layering and edging. Vehicles are good like that, you don't need to do anything too fancy for them to turn out nice. I splodged a couple of times with some sloppy drybrushing, but I was able to touch it up as battle damage, so no harm done.



The last guy is the very opposite of a nice, big, simple vehicle. It's Guilliman.


Jeez, this is a daunting model. The last time I did one of the super-powered names of the Warhammer world, it was Archaon. He's massive! And very expensive, so you want to do him justice. Same with Robbie here, but he's much much smaller and has a ton of tiny details. Especially on his goddamn base, which would have been much easier to handle separately. Take note, future self, don't glue the base on until you've painted it.


Not that my future self is going to stoop to buying the King of the Ultramarines. Way out of my price range for starters, but he's also devilishly fragile. Those braziers at the back came off once each, and his eagle-winged pack is held on by threads. He's not going to enjoy his ride home to the UK, I fear.


At least I'm not painting him smurfy, which meant daubing over his U symbols to turn them into maws. No painting guide here today, it's exactly the same blends as the rest of his chapter. He looks good in red, I reckon. Wonder when he'll see the table? Probably just in time to get stepped on by the new Knights, I'd guess.


Just one model left to do for the Crypt Angels!

3 comments:

  1. Imposing work! With Crypt Gulliman on the table, I'm glad he can't call on the services of, oh I don't know, fifteen Hellblasters...

    ... if anyone wants me, I'll be removing the ribbons from my WoffBoot Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying to figure out a good alternative name for him that wasn't laboured. Crypoute Angellman was the best I came up with, and that's rubbish.

    ReplyDelete