Wednesday 12 October 2016

Dungeon Saga Evil Dead II: Dead Ringers

Yes, these may be the same skeletons you saw last year - but now they've been rebooted with all-female skeletons!

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest painted evil dead: skeleton warriors.
Look closer for the slightly wider sciatic notches!

Let's dig over these corpses one more time!

When I painted the first set (last November), I apparently commented on what a fun batch they were to paint, and how much I was looking forward to doing more.

Well... apart from the 11 month hiatus, I stand by that - they've been at the back of the painting cupboard for so long, I'd forgotten what a nice little set they are to throw some paint on. I have two other painting projects (at least!) on the go at the moment, and these figures were easy to just slip between the gaps and get done.

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest painted zombie troll

I prefer this zombie troll to his predecessor, and not just because the hot-water correction treatment gave him a better posture.

I was aiming for a different skin tone (to shake things up, and also represent a different stage of decay), so went with a Zandri Dust base, 50/50 mix of Biel-Tan Green/Agrax Earthshade and drybrushes of Nurgling Green.

Nothing else new, other than I picked out his dangling intestines with Genestealer Purple/White Scar, before adding Blood for the Blood God.

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest painted evil dead: zombies.

Different skin tones for the two human zombies as well (the legions of the undead are a haven of diversity) - partly to show some more 'freshly-killed' zombies, and partly because I had a new pot of paint to try.

Rakarth Flesh as the base, Riekland Fleshton wash, and Nurgling Green highlights - they make a for a paler contrast to their undead brethren, but no worse for that.

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest painted evil dead: armoured zombie.

One of the benefits of taking so long to paint is that I can steal Kraken's ideas, namely an armoured zombie Templar.

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest painted evil dead: dwarf revenant

The Dwarf Revanant was the only figure to be painted in the same uniform (I seem them as a pair of Hoggar's guards), although he does get a grey beard and a shield symbol that (not entirely by choice) has a differently-shaped crown symbol.

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest painted evil dead: ghost.

This green ghost is enough to put the previous blue ghost to shame - successive drybrushes of Zandri Dust, Pallid Wych Flesh and White Scar, but I was just marking time until I could throw on a wash of Nihilakh Oxide. Boo!

And that wraps up my Dwarf King's Quest (doors, furniture and bone piles not included)!

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest painted evil dead

Just the Infernal Crypts, Warlord of Galahir, Tyrant of Halpi and Return of Valendor to go - the end's in sight!

2 comments:

  1. Didn't you get three of everything in your Kickstarter set? Not to diminish your achievement in any way, you know, just... just saying, is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I have a bonus pack of minions for all three campaigns, but since none of them appear to need that third set, I've consigned them all to the bitz box for future projects*

      *which is a perfectly valid choice and in no way a sly attempt to cut down my leadpile

      Delete