Wednesday 25 September 2019

Bug Bomb


Getting into Autumn already, here in Sweden. It's freezing! All the better to stay at home and paint models, although bluntly, that's true of almost any weather you care to name imho.


These are some reinforcements for my Mantis Warriors, a bit of light fire support and some dedicated transport.


The former comes courtesy of this fine Land Speeder Typhoon, the missile launcher one. Bristling with heavy weapons is all well and good, but it's probably not really the ideal choice for a fast movement vehicle. Still, it can probably get a shot or two off at most targets, or retreat out of range of some threats whilst being a pest. Nobody can totally ignore a pair of missile launchers, I hope.


Nice model! I didn't know the hatches on the side come hinged, so you can assemble it with the stowage space at the back open. Not that I used that option, the launcher ammo feed sprouts out of it so it would have kept flapping open. Nor did I feel like magnets this time out, so I have some spare weapons for later. At eight quid (thanks Conquest and Stylus), it's quite a steal.


The drop pod was an eBay purchase, I got it for less than half the rrp. Apparently, if I'd looked a few months before the new codex made them viable again, I'd have got it for even less. Stupid hindsight, never around when you need it.


It came half assembled and painted, with the side fins loose. Everything was sprayed matt black apart from the outside of the petals, which was a nice green. Not one that matched my green, dammit, and I also got to peel a Red Scorpions brass plate off for later. Lots of boring coats of base colours for this to work, annoyingly, the Army Painter green wasn't able to cover the base black in one go. I went fairly nuts with a sponge afterwards to make up for it.

Bless them! They look like they'd actually fit in it!

Plonking this down as close to both turn one and the enemy is going to be the driving force behind this army, I suspect! It came with the missile pod option, which I think looks better but is less use on the table. Like me.


As an afterthought, here's my own Haemotrope Reactors. Destined for the Jungle Board, they might get a bit of foliage glued on round the base. Whereas Stylus' were lit up and glowing, mine are dark and drab, falling apart quietly in the abandoned base they'll go with. They're not getting their own full post, I just did one! Plus we're coming up on a big number, and I don't want to spoil the surprises we have in store...





4 comments:

  1. Drop Pods are back! Woo! Great job on the vehicles and terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Having been struck by turn one charges from a marine opponent recently, I can absolutely confirm the worth of a drop pod. My only regret is you can't perform the classic Highland Burial from Mechwarrior with one!

      Delete
    2. I think a WraithKnight is the only thing in 40K that can potentially pull that off ;)

      Delete
  2. The Typhoon is actually the best non-Index build for a Land Speeder. All the available options are Heavy, and it's got the longest-ranged ones, so it's best able to avoid return fire. I'm pretty bummed to be losing the double Heavy Flamer option from the Index.

    Those Reactors are looking awesome! A bit of overgrowth should really kick them up.

    ReplyDelete