Monday 21 May 2018

The Other Black Legion


Over a month since I posted anything painted. Here's why.



Yes, it's all the Primaris Crypt Angels. All? No, not all, there's some vehicles and a character left to do, but I'll be giving myself a break from this particular paint scheme for a bit before I tackle those.

Hellblasters with Heavy Plasma Incinerators
Hellblasters with Assault Plasma Incinerators
Hellblasters with Some Other Form of Plasma Incinerator

Last time I took on a block of fifty models, they were rank and file zombies. Those got finished in a week, because rank and file zombies don't require hand-tooled insignia. Dear me, I am quite tired of winged maws now. Perhaps I was when I began. I don't recall.

Inceptors with Assault Bolters
Inceptors with Plasma Exterminators (my, they really pushed the boat out on all these plasma weapon names)

For Space Marines, though, these are good, chunky, tough-looking models. I'd rate them over vanilla marines - they look bigger and better, as their fluff suggests, and the characters and elites are very striking sculpts. Being a little bigger, the fine detail isn't quite as challenging either, which was a huge relief.

Intercessor Squad

Another one. Intercessor and Inceptor is a bit too close together in my lexicon to tell them apart, even though one has massive jump packs and the other doesn't

They've been back and forth over Sweden in a sweets tin, this lot, I've been away on tour a lot recently (which also didn't help me finish them). Sitting in my hotel room in various Baltic sea ports, well, there wasn't much else to do. Why not layer shoulder pads?

Aggressors with Flamestorm Gauntlets
Aggressors with Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets and Fragstorm Grenade Launchers
Reiver squad

The 40K community seems fairly unimpressed with Primaris Marines, outside of painting and modelling. Not as flexible as regular Wombles, more expensive and thus more prone to going down in a hail of fire, and just not quite proving their worth on the field somehow. God help the poor old regular dudes if that's how their souped-up brethren are faring.

Primaris Lieutenant
Another Lieutenant
Chapter Ancient
Sorry about these captions, I'm tired after a zillion tiny maws and can't think of anything funny to say
Primaris Chaplain with Giggle Stick
Captain
Apothecary
Librarian
You can't see them from here, but he's got purity seals in his armpit. I think Captain doth protest too much. 

It's been a while since I painted Crypt Angels, so the painting guide is being updated for anyone who's tearingly curious:



Painting Guide:


  • Black - Chaos Black spray, drybrushed with Eshin and then Ulthuan Grey. The latter was also layered thinly on in a few places, but only a few - I started out intending to carefully edge the lot and got bored after about five minutes
  • Red - Khorne Red, Druchii Violet (I'd left the blue wash at home), two thin Wazdakka Red coats, thin edge layer of Wild Rider Red
  • Yellows - Averland Sunset, Agrax Earthshade, layers of Averland up to Bad Moonz Yellow up to White Scar. But then my venerable Bad Moonz Yellow pot dried out, and I switched to Flash Gits Yellow for the shoulder markings. It's not the same, sigh
  • Guns - Warplock Bronze, Agrax gloss, Brass Scorpion, Runelord Brass
  • Skin - Rakarth Flesh, Reikland Flesh wash, Kislev Flesh then Flayed One Flesh layers
  • Eyes - Nuln Oil over the skin tones, then Lothern Blue
  • Leather - Scrag Brown, Agrax, Deathclaw Brown edging, Tyrant Skull drybrush
  • Bases - Chaos Black, Dawnstone and Terminatus Stone drybrushes, Pallid Wych Flesh on larger stone pieces
  • Silver - The usual, Leachbelcher with Nuln Oil, then Runefang drybrush and Stormhost Silver touches
  • Pinks - Screamer Pink, Emperor's Children layer, Tentacle Pink layer
  • Whites - Pallid Wych Flesh and White Scar for insignia, larger areas got an inking with Seraphim Sepia before the layers




Something for the home armies next, I think. Imperium or Tyranid? YOU decide!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like the 'White Walker' skin and blue eyes ('untainted geneseed' my arse). If only they'd be painted to that standard when I borrowed them, I'm sure I would have rolled fewer 1s.

    My vote for the next project: Bullgryns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have a wild hunch there will be no other votes, in all likelihood, consider them undercoated!

      Delete
    2. This is the kind of democracy I like!

      Delete
  2. The people have spoken. A Bullgryn mob will be deployed to their position shortly for the purposes of riot control. Please do not panic and remain still.

    ReplyDelete